108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Samba for OpenVMS 8.3 on Integrity Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Samba for OpenVMS 8.3 on Integrity Server

Does anyone know if Samba is now available for OpenVMS 8.3 yet? Is Samba going to replaced Pathworks Advanced server??

Please let me know.

Thanks,
J
9 REPLIES 9
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

An evaluation version is available. Samba will be supported on OpenVMS 8.2 or later. This isn't labelled as a production release. According the the roadmap link from the Samba homepage, the production release is scheduled for March 2007.

See http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/CIFS_for_Samba.html.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Andy - Thanks for your response. What do you use in the meantime while waiting for Samba to become available? Can I still use Pathworks Advanced Server with my 8.3 IA 64 server??

Thanks,
Jorge
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Per HP, the PATHWORKS Server and the Advanced Server packages will continue to be supported and tested on future OpenVMS Alpha releases (at least "for the foreseeable future"), but the (only) path forward for OpenVMS I64 and the (migration) path forward existing sites on OpenVMS Alpha is the OpenVMS CIFS (Samba) server.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/pathworks/advancedserver.html
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Pathworks/Advanced Server is not ported to Integrity Servers. You have the option of using NFS (buying client software for Windows Boxes), trying the Evalutaion Version or making due with ftp for now.

I'm running Alphaservers for the time being. We're putting another GS-1280 into production next month.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Jorge,
As my learned colleagues pointed out, VMS engineering is not and will not port Advanced Server to Integrity.
For VMS on Integrity, CIFS (aka SAMBA) is the way to go.
We're running the E3.0-10E003 evalutation release on 2 of our Integrity clusters, albeit standalone (not PDC, BDC, or member in a domain).
Apart from the issue of file formats, it kinda works.
We are looking forward to the production release (should come in March).
Regards,
Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Thank you gentlemen! I will download this beta version and give it try.

Any tips or recommendation regarding to the install, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jorge
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Guys, I need your help!

I am having trouble using 'net use' command on my client Windows 2k server with an error 67, The network name cannot be found. The funny thing is that I can mapped a drive through windows Explorer without any issues. I also noticed a plain text file sitting on client server and once moved, it no longer a text file but it's more like a binary file instead. Other than that, it works great with big improvement over Pathworks.

I am using the latest Samba V3 with OpenVMS 8.3 ia64.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Jorge
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Jorge,

You know that if you use exploder it will go for a browser/masterbrowser. But if you just type in the right names it works (better) !
Sometimes it takes hours before you can browse for connection on name within the exploder and sometimes you can still find the server even its already gone.

MicroSoft is not a good platform to test the realy good behavior of products. But I know, sometimes its the only way.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

Anton made an excellent point. The File Explorer (Exploder in Anton's words ;^) ) will take advantage of the BROWSE service.

At the DOS prompt, will your NET USE work if you give it an IP address, i.e. \\xx.xx.xx.xx\sharename ?

I've seen others mention this problem. Has anyone reported this back to engineering?

good luck,

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International

http://www.sciinc.com
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International