1752664 Members
5441 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Satellite boot Alpha V6.2-1H3 from Alpha 7.2-1

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

The CLUSTER_AUTHORIZE.DAT file on the system disk does not match the other cluster members ?

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I also remember that when the node name was used before in the cluster but with a different scssystemid you get problems. Also when the scssystemid was used but now with a new name. Not sure if the "waiting for" message is given in this case.

I rebooted the whole cluster to solve it (all down, all up again).

Wim
Wim
Adrian O
Occasional Advisor

Wim,

CLUSTER_AUTHORIZE files are identical on both system disks.

I don't think we are getting as far as trying to form the cluster, as dev003 is waiting form a connection to the v6.2 system disk served by dev004.

Adrian.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Suppose 2 systems server the same disk ? How will the cluster know that it may answer ? OBased on the cluster_authorize file.

Wim
Wim
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I will assume there are the usual sorts of impediments to upgrading the gear and the software; this is ancient bits and ancient gear. Big, hot and slow, all things considered.

From what I see, V7.2-1 and V6.2-1H3 don't appear to be a migration pair, per a contemporary SPD. Which means you're in relatively uncharted territory.

Here's some little detail on the cluster protocol version span:

http://64.223.189.234/node/412

I don't know if your current pairing is inside that range.

And you'll want to ensure that CLUSIO and other "current" and mandatory ECOs are loaded on your V6.2-1H3 box, if you really want to try this mixed-version cluster. This CLUSIO ECO kit was needed for V6.2 (and its close friends, the Ghost, Zombie and Goblin releases) when V7.1 arrived.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

Way back in Feb. 2000 I tried network booting a VMS 6.2-1H3 AlphaServer 4100 (from a different bootserver). It failed with the same looping error message you posted.

I logged a call and within a few days VMS support gave me a fix - a new version of APB.EXE (Alpha Primary Bootstrap image). But my fix was never included in a VMS 6.2 ECO.

Since it might be difficult to get this fix from VMS support today, I have attached my APB.EXE as a ZIP file attachment to this
post.

After unzipping it you need to do this:

$ BACKUP APB.EXE SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON.SYSEXE]/NEW/OWNER=ORIGINAL
$ DIRECTORY/FULL SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON.SYSEXE]APB.EXE;
$!Verify the file still has "Contiguous" and "MoveFile disabled" attributes.
$ MCR WRITEBOOT
Update VAX portion of boot block (default is Y) : N
Update AXP portion of boot block (default is Y) : Y
Enter AXP boot file : SYS$SYSDEVICE:[VMS$COMMON.SYSEXE]APB.EXE

And hopefully that will solve you problem. Note: I know this APB.EXE works for network and non-network boots on a VMS 6.2-1H3 AS 4100. I have not attempted to use it on any other hardware.
I have one, but it's personal.
Adrian O
Occasional Advisor

Jess,

Many thanks for the file - We can not get to a SYSBOOT prompt, but now get the console output shown in the attachment:

OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V6.2-1H3

%VMScluster-I-SYSDISK, Satellite system disk is _$255$DKA100:
%VMScluster-I-SYSROOT, Satellite system root is
%VMScluster-I-BUSONLINE, LAN adapter is now running 08-00-2B-C5-C2-23
%VMScluster-W-PROTOCOL_TIMEOUT, NISCA protocol timeout
%VMScluster-I-REINIT_WAIT, Waiting for access to the system disk server

%VMScluster-I-BUSONLINE, LAN adapter is now running 08-00-2B-C5-C2-23
%VMScluster-W-PROTOCOL_TIMEOUT, NISCA protocol timeout
%VMScluster-I-REINIT_WAIT, Waiting for access to the system disk server

Repeats until ^P

Any idea as to what is causing the Protocol Timeout?
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

You are in unsupported terretory, so these types of issues are not uncommon.

How much is it worth to be able to boot this without any directly attached storage? Are you 100% sure that the Alphaserver 800 5/500 is supported by 6.2-1H3 (I didn't look).

If it is supported, my next step would be to put a local disk on the box and boot from that. That will probably be cheaper than calling in help to try and get the box to boot as a satellite.

Jon

it depends
Adrian O
Occasional Advisor

Jon,

We are trying to source local storage for the 4100. The reason behind trying the satellite boot was because there is no local storage atm.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Rgds,

Adrian.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Is it possible that you need to patch the OS 6.2 too or is the code for making the mscp connection only present in apb.exe (I would think it's not because you can have mscp with a local disk).

Wim
Wim