1752801 Members
5780 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Satellite boot Alpha V6.2-1H3 from Alpha 7.2-1

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd think you're left to upgrade your OpenVMS V6.2-1H3 box, downgrade your OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-1 box, or continue struggling with something that is known to be unsupported and that is here found to be non-functional.

SCS doesn't like long version spans, and if CLUSIO and such don't allow this, you're likely not going to get a connect here.

This "downgrade or upgrade" approach is a bigger hammer solution, yes, but I'd apply a yet larger hammer here and get all these boxes upgraded to V7.3-2 minimally, or to current.
Adrian O
Occasional Advisor

Have not yet managed to get a successful satellite boot, although I think we were getting close.

Time constraints have forced us to connect an external pedestal to the V6.2 server and boot locally from this. We now have a working mixed version cluster, and when the devs give me a slot, I will have another tinker about with the satellite boot.

I think that we are missing one or more of the 'CPU' patches for V6.2-1H3 - I need to investigate this a bit more thoroughly.

Many thanks for the interest and especially the patched APB.EXE

Rgds,

Adrian.
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

At a minimum you must have these three patches installed on your VMS 6.2 AlphaServer 4100:

ALPCLUSIO01_062
ALPCPU1603_062
ALPLAN06_062

They are available here:
ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patches/alpha/V6.2X/

Note that ALPCLUSIO01_062 contains a version of APB.EXE, so after installing it you must reinstall the newer version of APB.EXE that I gave you.
I have one, but it's personal.