108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Searching for new calls for old OpenVMS 6.2 IRP$L_IOSB & IRP$L_AST routines

XMAN_1
Advisor

Searching for new calls for old OpenVMS 6.2 IRP$L_IOSB & IRP$L_AST routines

Hello! Gurus,

I am facing a situation over here :D

During MMS building the source code using DEC C V6.0-001 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.2-1, I receive the following error messages:

%LINK-W-NUDFSYMS, 2 undefined symbols:
%LINK-I-UDFSYM, DRIVER$INIT_TABLES (Weak Reference)
%LINK-I-UDFSYM, IRP$L_AST
%LINK-I-UDFSYM, IRP$L_IOSB
%LINK-W-USEUNDEF, undefined symbol IRP$L_IOSB referenced in psect $$$115_LINKAGE offset %X00000200
%LINK-W-USEUNDEF, undefined symbol IRP$L_AST referenced in psect $$$115_LINKAGE offset %X00000208

After that I check the SYS$LIB_C.TLB and I didn't find these calls.

Then I check and found a macro calling these calls as follows:

CLRL IRP$L_AST(R9) ; CLEAR AST
CLRL IRP$L_IOSB(R9) ; CLEAR IO STATUS BLOCK

So, now Guru's do you know whats the equivalent of IRP$L_AST & IRP$L_IOSB in OpenVMS 7.2.

Many many thanks in advance!

XMAN
3 REPLIES 3
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: Searching for new calls for old OpenVMS 6.2 IRP$L_IOSB & IRP$L_AST routines

Is this priviliged code, truly using a VMS internal IRP block, or is this a private naming convention that looks like and IRP.

When I check out $IRPDEF in SYS$LIBRARY:LIB.MLB or its C brother, I see 64 bit fields like: irp$pq_acb64_ast and irp$pq_iosb

fwiw,
Hein.

Robert Brooks_1
Honored Contributor

The fields you are attempting to reference do not exist for OpenVMS Alpha from V7.0 and beyond. No doubt you have some code that likely compiles on V6.2 or before.

If you are not an experienced OpenVMS Alpha driver writer, you may have a rather large task ahead of you. The changes in the driver model
are a bit too numerous to list here!

It's possible that you have a simple enough driver that there is a direct replacement for the cells you need to reference, but given that there were quite substantial changes introduced, I'd give the driver a very thorough code review, even if it compiles, links, and loads correctly!

-- Rob
XMAN_1
Advisor

Guys! Thanks a lot for your cooperation.

I just found the link to OpenVMS Alpha Guide to Upgrading Privileged-Code Applications

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/73final/6466/6466pro_007.html

irp$l_ast - This cell has been removed. It has been replaced by the irp$pq_acb64_ast cell.

irp$l_iosb - This cell has been removed. It is replaced by the irp$pq_iosb cell.

Have a nice weekend!

XMAN