Operating System - OpenVMS
1748205 Members
4543 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Security Auditing - How to log user logins for accounts that have SYSPRV.

djk
Advisor

Security Auditing - How to log user logins for accounts that have SYSPRV.

I would like to create an Audit log record when high-privilege accounts (SYSPRV, BYPASS, etc) login. This would enable me to see how frequently these accounts are being used.

I don't see how to do this with SET AUDIT/AUDIT. Can it be done?
17 REPLIES 17
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

probably not directly via SEt AUDIT.
Two possibilities:
(1) audit all (interactive,batch) logins.
Then use analyze/audit to select all logins, and check the users against sysuaf for elevated prvileges.

(2) set audit/audit/enable=(ACCESS=SYSPRV,ACCESS=BYPASS)
to audit all accesses due to those privileges.
See HELp SET AUDIT /ENABLE for details.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

There is likely no way that is safe against being disabled, since the high-privilege guys can probably defeat it.

All I know is what I read in HELP just now.

I would look into putting an AUDIT ACE on the LOGIN.COM files for these accounts. SET AUDIT/ENABLE=ACCESS for these files to audit EXECUTE and MANAGE access to this file.

I think that the EXECUTE auditing would tell you when LOGIN.COM is executed (mostly only when the user logs on) and when the user tries to modify the ACE (to stop the logging).
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Sorry, the correct set audit is:
set audit/audit/enable=(ACCESS=(SYSPRV,BYPASS))
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Use the list of the users with ALL-class privileges or with system UIC settings, and you can then use accounting, or the audit logs, to search for the usernames of interest. You probably already have this enabled.

This query sequence isn't a single step, but it's quite simple to brute-force the necessary solution with some DCL-level queries into accounting or auditing.

The other traditional sequence available here is to add the necessary auditing into SYLOGIN using explicit DCL-level tests.

And the usual and long-standing recommendation: remove the privileges from the users, as impolitic as that can be.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

djk,

Auditing /ENABLE=(ACCESS=(SYSPRV,BYPASS)) tracks every USE of the privilege, which may be too fine grained for what you want.

It may be simpler to audit all logins and filter them for the usernames you're interested in:

$ SET AUDIT/AUDIT/ENABLE=LOGIN=ALL

Login audits are a fairly useful thing to have anyway.

There's a fairly general approach to generating audits for arbitrary events which allows you to be highly specific, using files with audit ACLs which generated audits when touched in various ways. In this case, here's a possibility:

First create a file with a distinctive name to identify the event you're auditing. Leave the file empty.

$ CREATE SYS$MANANGER:SYSPRV_BYPASS_LOGIN.AUDIT

Apply security and ACE which will audit SUCCESSFUL access to that file:

$ SET SECURITY /PROTECTION=(S:R,O,G,W) -
SYS$MANANGER:SYSPRV_BYPASS_LOGIN.AUDIT -
/ACL=(AUDIT=SECURITY,ACCESS=READ+SUCCESS)

Since it's protected S:R, only users with SYSPRV and BYPASS can access the file.

Now, plant an access to the file in SYLOGIN.COM in a path that's executed by everyone. Since non-privileged users will get an error, use PIPE output redirection to block the message

$ SET NOON ! Don't exit on error
$ PIPE TYPE SYS$MANANGER:SYSPRV_BYPASS_LOGIN.AUDIT >nl: 2>nl:

Make sure ACL audits are enabled:

$ SET AUDIT/AUDIT/ENABLE=ACL

You can now search the audit journal for audit records with filename = SYS$MANANGER:SYSPRV_BYPASS_LOGIN.AUDIT these will identify the users and times they executed SYLOGIN (note that anyone can execute SYLOGIN at any time!).

As others have stated, privileged users can do anything, so this won't necessarily work if they're hostile (but if that's the case they shouldn't have privileges!).
A crucible of informative mistakes
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

As Rbrown and John Gillings have already stated, this is nonsense, as users with this type of privilege can do anything (like stop or freeze the Audit Server).
Craig A
Valued Contributor

I don't think it is nonsense at all.

For me, the number 1 priority here is to ensure that only those people who really need BYPASS, actually have it.

Under 8.3 you also need SECURITY privilege to fiddle with the audit server. It is perfectly possible for users to hold SYSPRV and still be denied access to the SYSUAF (assuming they haven't got BYPASS).

Craig

tsgdavid
Frequent Advisor

Just another thought, but you could enter some commands in the system login file to check the authorized privileges of any user logging in and log the information in any way that you like (including something that goes to the audit log).

f$getjpi(0,"AUTHPRIV") will return the list of all authorized privileges for the current process.

Dave
B Novak
Advisor

How about some simple DCL that pulls the username and checks it against a list of users that have high privilege? You could then write login information to include whatever stats you wish to a flat file for reference. (username, login date/time, etc.) This DCL could be placed in SYLOGIN.COM. Something similar to the below. It's simple and "ugly" but it works well.
$ pid = f$getjpi("","PID")
$ username = f$getjpi("''pid'","USERNAME")
$ username = f$edit("''username'","TRIM,UPCASE")
$ if username.eqs."WHOEVER" THEN ...

Instead of the last IF check, you could also maintain a simple flat file of the users that have high privileges and check that file with a SEARCH checking the status of the search results.

Just another way to skin the cat.

Cheers,
Bob
Any temporary fix in place longer than 6 months becomes permanent.