108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sending email from OpenVMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
John T. Farmer
Regular Advisor

SHOW MAIL in TCPIP indicates the TCPIP$SMTP_MAILSHR.EXE image is not installed. Is that something where HP Support (via our support contract) would help, or are we on our own to get it "installed"?

I am a developer, and haven't done any VMS software installations. I'm sure I can get more than enough instruction from this forum, just don't want to be a pest, as I would require MUCH guidance. So, we need to start with getting the SMTP stuff installed, then the config questions will start.

Is there a good HP reference/doc on the SMTP subject, that you can point me to?

Also, being behind on vms versions doesn't help matters. We have planned to get more current in first qtr 2007.

Thanks,

John
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

John, it's probably simply because you haven't started the SMTP service.

Run SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG, and select option 2 - Client Components, then option 6 - SMTP.

Choose to enable and start the service.

Rob.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> SHOW MAIL in TCPIP indicates the
> TCPIP$SMTP_MAILSHR.EXE image is not
> installed. Is that something where HP
> Support (via our support contract) would
> help, or are we on our own to get it
> "installed"?

Well, yes, but ...

> $ @sys$manager:TCPIP$CONFIG

Still worth a try.

> Is there a good HP reference/doc on the
> SMTP subject, that you can point me to?

Start with TCPIP SHOW VERSION, then deviate
accordingly:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/index.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/tcpip56.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/tcpip53.html (?)
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6526/6526pro.HTML

Or wander around a little in that
neighborhood.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

John,

>>>
SHOW MAIL in TCPIP indicates the TCPIP$SMTP_MAILSHR.EXE image is not installed. Is that something where HP Support (via our support contract) would help, or are we on our own to get it "installed"?
<<<

I think you mis-interpret the meaning of "installed" here. It does not have to do with software installation. Look for yourself: I'm sure the file SYS$SHARE:TCPIP$SMTP_MAILSHR.EXE is already there.

>>>
So, we need to start with getting the SMTP stuff installed, then the config questions will start.
<<<

Okay, let's assume SMTP already is installed (it is - trust me ;-).

So, start configuring by follow my config procedure posted above.

HTH,
Martin
John T. Farmer
Regular Advisor

Hi folks,

Yes, you were correct. The SMTP service was DISABLED. I ENABLED/STARTED the service. I am trying to locate the IP address of the corporate SMTP server. The value I had for SET CONFIG was not correct, so the mail messages are bouncing back... But we've made progress!!! Will update you all when I get and try that info.

Thanks,

John
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

You can get some hints from

nslookup -type=mx genworth.com

but it's really a question for your corporate
network folks, who may have some other ideas.
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Hi,

You'll need to get on the SMTP server and allow your VMS server have the ability to relaying messages through, especially the Exchange server.

Jorge
John T. Farmer
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Was able to locate an SMTP server on the network, set smtp config, as noted above, and successfully sent and email from VMS to my exchange email, and to my cell phone (text message). There may be a few other tweaks as I learn more, but I reached my goal. Thanks for all the wonderful help on the subject.

John
John T. Farmer
Regular Advisor

Wim,

I didn't see your "Enclosed Procedure" for email attachments. Is that in another thread?

Thanks,

John
John T. Farmer
Regular Advisor

Thanks to all the help in getting our VMS-Mail/Email configured. SMTP configuration directions were invaluable. The system is able to send basic email messages for on-call trouble-notification purposes.

Thanks,

John