108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sessions not terminating on terminal disconnect

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy Hancock
Advisor

That is a possible solution to shift users over to the other system. As I mentioned earlier, tcp_keepidle is already set to 150 on the ES40 system. So, only the ES47 needs to have TCPIP restarted.

It may be several days before this opportunity arises.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Randy,

if you go this way (and I think you should, one way or another) you should also enable Virtual Terminal (and this is from biological memory, so please verify: ISTR that it is by adding %X2000 to SYSGEN param TTY_DEFCHAR2 ).
Various applications (among them certainly Progress) will have the disconnected sessions (pseude-randomly, ie, if they happen to try to communicate with the remote end of the session) enter ComputeBound COM state, which again will prevent timeout...
We had quite some "interesting" time to learn this the hard way.

Success.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Randy,

I'm amazed at the amount of discussion here before someone finally mentioned virtual terminals! (thanks Jan!)

Rather than kill the process on a disconnection, allow your users to reconnect to the same session. No lost work or context. This can be VERY handy if you have bouncy comms links.

On OpenVMS Alpha, to enable virtual terminals, set the DISCONNECT bit in SYSGEN parameter TTY_DEFCHAR2. Add %X20000 (not %X2000 - you were close Jan!)

In your startup, add the line:

$ MCR SYSGEN IO CONNECT VTA0/NOADAPTER/DRIVER=SYS$LOADABLE_IMAGES:SYS$TTDRIVER.EXE

and, for TCPIP support on TELNET and/or RLOGIN sessions:

$ DEFINE/SYSTEM/EXEC TCPIP$TELNET_VTA "TRUE"
$ DEFINE/SYSTEM/EXEC TCPIP$RLOGIN_VTA "TRUE"

You can control the time that a session will remain connectable before being kiled with SYSGEN parameter TTY_TIMEOUT (in seconds, default is 900 = 15 minutes)
A crucible of informative mistakes
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention, changing TTY_DEFCHAR2 requries a reboot, (sorry). For ephemeral terminals like TNA devices, there is no other way to set the DISCONNECT characteristic.

FWIW, the reason you need all the TCPIP settings is because of the double edged sword of TCPIP. For "efficiency" Telnet sessions are not as "connection oriented" as (say) DECnet or LAT. This avoids the overheads of maintaining a strong connection between hosts, but suffers the consequence that a dropped connection will only be detected if an I/O is attempted from the surviving host (in which case it will see a failure). Eventually a keepalive message will detect the broken connection, but, by default, that can be hours.

Adjusting the keepalive parameters can reduce the time to detection. This also increases connection overheads, and defeats any arguments about how much more efficient telnet is than LAT or DECnet.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Randy Hancock
Advisor

Now you have me wondering:

What is the meaning of these parameters (other than keepidle we have been discussing)? I don't see just tcp_keepalive.

tcp_keepalive_default = 0
tcp_keepcnt = 8
tcp_keepidle = 150
tcp_keepinit = 150
tcp_keepintvl = 150
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

See
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6631/6631pro_005.html#keepalive

Whew!

Now it REALLY begins to make sense. If I am understanding this correctly, as our system is set up the keepidle setting triggers a keepalive probe after 75 seconds. If no response, it will try again in 75 seconds and repeat this process 8 times (totalling 10 minutes) before terminating the session. As it was set up before, this would have meant the termination would not have occurred for 2 hours, 8 minutes and 45 seconds.

Thanks!
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

I was just looking at the command file mentioned above, TCPIP$DEFINE_COMMANDS.COM, and saw something I thought was pretty funny.

In the VMS 7.2-2 version of it they use:
$sysconfig:==$sys$system:tcpip$sysconfig.exe

But in the 7.3-2 version someonc has changed that line (and all the others too) to be:
$ sysconfig :== $'f$edit(-
"sys$system:tcpip$sysconfig.exe","upcase")'

I would call that a very unnecessary use of a lexical function.
I have one, but it's personal.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

@Jess:

it just reflects the fact that on ODS-5, with the process set to respect case-sensitivity, it still should work.
That is called Defensive Programming.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

Well I thought about ODS5 but I still say that the F$EDIT is completely unnecessary.

The much simpler original symbol assignment:

$sysconfig:==$sys$system:tcpip$sysconfig.exe

will result in a uppercase string even when SET PROCESS/PARSE=EXTENDED in effect. := strings are alway upcased unless quoted.
I have one, but it's personal.