108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sessions not terminating on terminal disconnect

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: Sessions not terminating on terminal disconnect

And the unit is 0.5 seconds (unix ...). So 2 hours it is.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

You can change in meory settings via
sysconfig -r inet att=val

but it is up to 6tcpip to decide if it will use the value (test it and after 5 minutes you will now). I'm sure it will not be used for open telnets.

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I think you can change it on the fly (and put in the appropriate startup file) but you may have to change the options on the telnet service then disable/enable the telnet service to get it to be effective. disable/enable telnet will disconnect all telnet sessions (including the one you are using :-)

Parhaps setting tcp_keepalive_default = 1
which makes it default for all tcp sockets (I think) may make it effective sooner but affects all.

I think the default values changed in some recent version of UCX so the timeout is much longer.

I tried looking for a startup file that may have set this parameter, but could not find one...any thoughts on where I should be looking?
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Randy,

Note that there is a good chance that you can restart the TCP stack (or at least the Telnet portion of it) without a reboot.

For TCP/IP Services, you can stop and restart the IP stack with the system up, although you will need some connection other than a TCP/IP based connection to do it from.

Other stacks have different procedures. If not using TCP/IP Services, which stack are you using?

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Last time I did this I put sysconfig commands in SYS$MANMAGER:TCPIP$SYSTARTUP.COM however
I think you can add them to sysconfigtab.

See
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6631/6631pro_004.html#over_tune

for the full horror.

You are right. Scary stuff. Edited a file as follows (INET.TXT):

inet:
tcp_keepidle = 150

then within TCPIP:

TCPIP> sysconfigdb -a -f inet.txt inet

This appears to have added the parameter as

TCPIP> sysconfigdb -l

displays

net:

nfs:
tcp_threads = 8
udp_threads = 8
ovms_xqp_plus_enabled = 0

vfs:
vnode_age = 120

inet:
tcp_keepidle = 150

So, it appears I should be set for our next reboot?
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Randy,

As I noted previously, no reboot is needed. You just need to shutdown TCPIP services and then re-execute @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$STARTUP.COM

You do need to to this, of course, from either:
- a local terminal
- a terminal session using LAT
- a DECnet remote terminal session
- a SYSMAN SET ENVIRONMENT session
- (I haven't tried this recently) a batch job.

You will need to terminate all TCP/IP use for a minute or so, but that is far less time than a reboot.

Randy Hancock
Advisor

I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear, I DID understand that we could do this without rebooting, it is just that we run a nearly 24 hour shop so it is tough to get users out of the system. At least this way I KNOW we should be ready at the next reboot, scheduled or not!

Thanks again!
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Randy,

Understood, but if at all possible I would recommend not altering a setting and waiting for the next reboot to happen.

You mentioned that you have two systems, an ES40 and an ES47. Can you make the change on one of the systems, shift the load to the other system in the cluster over a period of time, and then do a restart of IP on the (now) relatively idle system?

Then you can verify that the setting is indeed the problem, and make the change for both members of the cluster.

I apologise in advance if I am writing this on the presumption that other people, who may be less knowledgeable will read this thread.