New Discussion юеВ

Re: Set autoneg and speed on XFrame Ewa0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ken,

could it be that those 10 Gbit devices only support auto-negotiation and do not support changing any speed settings ?

Volker.
Ken Dallinger
Advisor

Thanks
Will see what HP come up with.

Ken
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ken,

I've found the following sentence in a LAN update presentation from HP discussing the AB287A LAN 10 Gigabit interface (XFRAME I/II)

. Auto-negotiation ├в not applicable, fiber only NIC

This may explain things...

Volker.
Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

As a general rule, the various fibre optical Ethernet standards are always fixed speed, and have no interoperability with other flavours.

I suppose one could theoretically make a dual-standard one but I'd be very surprised.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Ken,

here is the offical answer from OpenVMS LAN engineering:

LANCP returns the "Setting speed not supported" error because you have specified a speed that is not supported. The 10 gigabit Xframe device runs only at 10 gigabit/second. The hardware is not capable of running at any other speed. If you do wish to set the speed using LANCP to the speed it is currently running, you can issue the following command to set the speed: mc lancp set device/speed=10000.

Note that auto-negotiation is also not supported. The AB287A allows only a single mode of operation - 10 gigabit speed, full-duplex, no-auto-negotiation.

Volker (just the messenger).
Ken Dallinger
Advisor

Thanks
Time to swap the cards.
Ken
Ken Dallinger
Advisor

Just to let you know we have taken the 10 Gbit Fibre cards out of the server, which now boots from DVD without the card.
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1163827&admit=-682735245+1191595494106+28353475

We will be using x BASE-T cards instead of fibre. Thanks for all the help
Ken Dallinger
Advisor

Please see above