New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting Account Quotas for Oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

Setting Account Quotas for Oracle

Hi,

Can someone let me know if the following quotas can be specified for oracle user on HP OpenVMS 8.1-2. This will be a build system which will not involve much of database activity. The only activity that goes on this system is compilation and validation. May I know what will be the respective quota value on those systems where heavy load of database transactions happen.

Account Quota Minimum Value Quota Name
ASTLM
250 (the default)
Asynchronous system trap limit

BYTLM
Buffered I/O limit

ENQLM
2000 (the default)
Enqueue quota

FILLM
Open file quota

JTQUOTA
Job table quota

MAXDETACH
0 (the default)
Max detached processes

MAXJOBS
0 (the default)
Max active jobs

PGFLQUOTA
1,500,000 (recommended)
Paging file quota

WSDEFAULT
Working set default

WSEXTENT
Working set extent

WSQUOTA
Working set quota

Thanks,
Srikanth
10 REPLIES 10
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Srikanth,

with no recent experience on VMS+Oracle, I only can give general indications.

ASTLM, ENQLM, FILLM, MAXDETACH, MAXJOB are looking good to generous. Some special cases may want one of m higher, but it would be SPECIAL.
BYTLM looks rather low. The cost of it is trivial, so I would advise 2 4, or (especially on IA64) maybe 10 M
JTQUOTA depends on your app. Should be enough, or ORACLE would have advised more.
PGFLQUOTA might turn out scrappy if you run big databases. I usually use about double a recommended value.
WSQUOTA I would prefer 8 or 16 K on modern systems, maybe evn 32 or 64 K on IA64

The one that really sticks out as plainly WRONG is WSEXTENT. Make this BIG. AFAIK the limit of 64K very much enlarged with VMS V8.x
Modern systems tend to have much memory. Therefor, allow processes to USE it if/when no one else needs it.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Perhaps the ENQLM may need some increase.

regards Kalle
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jan,

If Bytlm is suppose to hold 2M of value, should I insert value of 2147483648.

thanks,
Srikanth A
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

It won't matter - you can use 2000000 if it is easier to read. Some of the smaller numbers should be a power of 2, but the larger ones shouldn't matter.

Allan in Atlanta
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Don't forget that the effective quota is the maximum of the UAF quota and the SYSGEN PQL_Mxxxx sysgen parameter.

If, for example, a user's PGFLQUOTA in SYSUAF is 200000 but PQL_MPGFLQUOTA is 2000000, you'd have to increase the SYSUAF a long way (by at least 1800000) before the user's processes would actually see any difference.
Steven Bearden
Advisor

We are running Oracle in a heavy production and development environment on Integrity Servers VMS 8.2-1 and these are the quotas we use as a minimum (Be sure to modify modparams.dat as needed). Good Luck.

Maxjobs: 0
Fillm: 2048
Bytlm: 500000
Maxacctjobs: 0
Shrfillm: 0
Pbytlm: 0
Maxdetach: 0
BIOlm: 400
JTquota: 4096
Prclm: 100
DIOlm: 200
WSdef: 8192
Prio: 4
ASTlm: 200
WSquo: 32768
Queprio: 0
TQElm: 200
WSextent: 262144
CPU: (none)
Enqlm: 2000
Pgflquo: 2000000
"People will forget what you said,  people will forget what you did,  but people will never forget how you made them feel. "
comarow
Trusted Contributor

One tip.

If you are not using Reserved Memory, make sure your Global Pages are very generous, or you won't be able to restart Oracle without a reboot.
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

If this is for building the Oracle Server (not Rdb I assume) the quotas look ok. If there is a quota too low the application (compiler, linker) will fail. One change though to lower pagefaults: WSEXTENT=size of physical memory.

re Galen:
"If, for example, a user's PGFLQUOTA in SYSUAF is 200000 but PQL_MPGFLQUOTA is 2000000, you'd have to increase the SYSUAF a long way (by at least 1800000) before the user's processes would actually see any difference."

In this case (PQL_MPGFLQUOTA=2000000) ALL processes would at least get a minimum of 2000000 for their PGFLQUOTA.

/Guenther
Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Everybody,

thanks for your response. I had good info from all of you. I will close the fir with this note.

Thanks,
Srikanth