108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting Pathworks passwords

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Setting Pathworks passwords

Just wanted to register this in the forum for future searches.

After about an hour of searching I found this clearly documented in the PW admin help
modify user/password="AbCdEfGg"
!!! Enclose password in quotes or mixed case will be converted to upper case !!!

Anyone that wishes to raz me will get points :)
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Enclosing a parameter in quotes to prevent upcasing is standard DCL command line behaviour isn't it?

you have to do this in authorize for mixed case passwords and in other utilities for mixed case parameters. I guess file names in mixed case may not have to be quoted if you are enable case sensitivity in your process and you have a ODS5 disk but I think case sensitivity in commands is evil and should be banned.

You would not believe the "doh" and the size of the hand print on my forehead after the light turned on.

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

It's the weather - too much heat causing more 'doh!' moments :-)

Tim,

maybe small solace, but I KNOW how you feel!
Way back when this (and some similar case) issues caused my hair to turn an uglier shade of gray, and when the cause finally managed to break through my (at that time double hardened) skul, I looked like I had been in the hot sun WAYYY to long.

But it must have some educational value: nowadays I start looking there, and the hit rate is probably just over 50% of the various: "why the heck does that not do as expected?"

In hindsight it always looks soooo easy. :-)

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Cheers !!
Chris Davis_9
Advisor

An even better way is:

mod user/password

If you leave the password blank, Pathworks will prompt for it and case sensitivity is maintained. There will also be a verification request. In addition, the password will not be echoed to the screen so will not be available for all to see, maintaining security.

Cheers!