108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting VMS file attributes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donald Ashton
Occasional Advisor

Both the PC program and VAX analysis are activated under user control. The analysis program operates interactively on files selected by the user from within the program.

I shall do some investigation into setting the default file attributes from the share definition since this one seems to be feasible.

I have subsequently found out that different users work in different disk areas without common shares and copy directories as required. The use of a comand file to perform the directory copying rather than directly using the DCL copy command is another approach I will consider.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

If the files do arrive in specific places on the VAX you could use job_daemon (see

http://zinser.no-ip.info/vms/sw/job_daemon.htmlx

to trigger a DCL to change the file attributes)

Greetings, Martin
Kjell Carlsson
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi

You can use the RSH command from the PC to create and execute DCL-commands within the VAX. Just enable the RSH/REXEC service from TCPIP$CONFIG.

If you wish to run it from a PC program, just spawn a subprocess.

Kjell Carlsson
Donald Ashton
Occasional Advisor

The user can decide just where to put the files, which rules out most approaches. I have currently implemented a special 'directory copy' command file with the file attribute changes applied automatically.

The use of RSH looks promising and certainly merits further investigation.