4653 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting up routing on DECnet phase iv

Stephane_B
Occasional Contributor

Setting up routing on DECnet phase iv

Hello,
I have 2 sets of DEC machine (VMS 6.1 and 6.2).

1 set is in area 38 (only pahse iv) , another in area 37 (phase iv and OSI).
I have 2 CISCO router, 1 is break down (area 38)
in area 37, one machine has DECnet OSI (VOTS) so it is difficult to suppress routing.
I would like to remplace CISCO by activating DECnet routing in area 38 on 1 machine (phase iv)
After activate routing, what I have to do on the machine that do the routing ?
Now, the area 38 machine do not have DECnet access to area 37 (ok with TELNET).

Can you help me ?
Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
john Dite
Frequent Advisor

How are the CISCO Routers connected to each other ?

How were the CISCO Routers exchanging DECnet Routing Updates between each other, with DECnet PhaseIV Routing Protocol or by some other (private) method (which I suspect).

Setting up your PhaseIV System as a Router would only work, if you could send and receive Router-Hellos/Updates from the remaining CISCO system.

John

Hoff
Honored Contributor

if that's what you're planning to use them for, the Cisco boxes are configured not as DECnet routers but as DECnet area routers, and the area routers must be adjacent.    Or move everything into one DECnet area, obviously.

Stephane_B
Occasional Contributor

hello,
thanks for your answer.

Moving the machines is the same area will not resolve my issue : the machine with VOTS needs routing.

Nobody know the settings of the 2 CISCO (20 years ago, maybe more, I was not here) and there no doc about it.

The fact is 1 of the 2 router is out of order, that why I'm trying to replace it by DECnet routing on a machine.

And in the futur,  I have the idea to replace the other CISCO by active routing in area 37.
Now :
area 38, CISCO router out of order
area 37 : CICSO router seem to be ok

futur :
area 38 : a machine will make the routing
area 37 : a machine wil make the routing

I hope to be clear.

john Dite
Frequent Advisor

Stephane,

> the machine with VOTS needs routing.

What do you mean with VOTS. VOTS used to mean VAX OSI Transport service, before DECnet VAX Extensions, DECnet/OSI and DECnet+.  What have you got installed on your VOTS system?

How are the two DECnet areas interconnected, extended LAN, WAN connections? Are there firewalls in place?

What applications need to communicate with each other on the two systems. Pure DECnet applications or OSI (VOTS) based?

How do the applications address each other, via NODE Name, DECnet PhaseIV Address or an NSAP ?