Operating System - OpenVMS
1753903 Members
10022 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Should TCP/IP files be moved to cluster-common disk when using > 1 system disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Boogaard
Frequent Advisor

Should TCP/IP files be moved to cluster-common disk when using > 1 system disk

When using more than 1 system disk (shadowed or non-shadowed) in a cluster, certain files need to be moved to a shared common disk , like SYSUAF, RIGHTSLIST, NETPROXY.DAT, VMSMAIL_PROFILE.DATA.

Is it also necessary or useful or wise to do the same with TCP/IP files like the TCPIP$HOST.DAT, TCPIP$SERVICE.DAT and others?
And if so, can TCPIP$CONFIG.COM handle that situation ?
Has (maybe) anyone done this before ?

Jan
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Should TCP/IP files be moved to cluster-common disk when using > 1 system disk

Yes, TCPIP$CONFIG can deal with the situation if logical names are properly set up. I have done it before and it made maintenance more easy.
Jan van den Boogaard
Frequent Advisor

Can a response get quicker than this? Thanks Uwe.

Should all TCPIP$...DAT files be moved or should some stay in SYS$SPECIFIC type areas?
Jan
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Jan,
I don't have a VMS system handy to check, but if I remember correctly, all TCPIP files are stored in SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE], so I would move all files.

You can easily check by:
$ directory SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSEXE]TCPIP$*.DAT
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Jan,

A list of the typical "common" OpenVMS files is included in the
SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE file that is present in OpenVMS V7.2 and later.

Since you have two system disks, you will have two separate TCP/IP
Services installations.

Each TCP/IP Services installation will require a configuration pass
for each active system root, as TCP/IP Services will store the various
system-specific (root-specific) information in files located in the
SYS$SPECIFIC: root. That information which is stored in the common
area can be shared across systems running the same TCP/IP version.

Regards
Archie
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If there is already a template - that's great!

Use it to create the logical names before you call TCPIP$CONFIG.COM for the first time. That makes sure the common files will be created at the correct location and you don't need to move later.
Jan van den Boogaard
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the useful input. Its clear to me. I did RT*M before posting this message but could not find it as specific as in this forum. Thanks.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The TCPIP files are not listed in the current SYLOGICALS.TEMPLATE although there is a a useful list of files.

The suggestion about getting the logicals defined then running TCPIP$CONFIG is a good idea.

The TCPIP$*.DAT files are all in SYS$COMMON:[SYSEXE] normally and each can store configuration information for several nodes (indexed by SCSNODENAME).

Jan,

have a look at SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG.COM. It defines some logicals to point to common TCPIP files using SYS$COMMON: You may at least assume, that those files could be put to a cluster-common disk and those logicals be changed accordingly.

You would also need to look at the TCPIP$*START*.COM to see, how they use files from the local system disk.

AFAIK, moving the TCPIP files is NOT supported, at least it does not seem to show up in the documentation. You're on your own, but this doesn't mean it won't work...

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Also make sure that the print spool files are not on the system disk. Check your LPD printcap file for sd:.

Also compare all .com files on the 2 system disk to find differences (e.g. tcpip service procedures).

Wim
Wim