108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Shutting down Oracle CRS (10g) on VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

Shutting down Oracle CRS (10g) on VMS

Has anyone come up with a friendly way to stop the Oracle CRS processes without simply letting SYSHUTDOWN kill them when shutting down a VMS node? Unfortunately Oracle decided to run these processes as batch jobs and VMS shuts down the batch queues 1 minute before running the "user" shutdown command procedure.

Any ideas would be welcomed except making changes to SYSHUTDOWN.COM.
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Ken,

We had issues with applications that get rather upset that DECnet is pulled out from under them at the beginning of SHUTDOWN.COM. We asked that SHUTDOWN.COM be re-written to give us more control over when DECnet (or queues in your case) are shutdown. Instead we got NET$APPLICATION_SHUTDOWN.COM added to the DECnet shutdown to execute our application shutdowns before DECnet was actually shutdown.

If you are running DECnet, you could create a NET$APPLICATION_SHUTDOWN.COM and add a shutdown procedure for the Oracle processes to it. It will be executed before the queues are stopped.

Bill
Bill Hall
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

similarly TCPIP$SYSHUTDOWN.COM is called if it exists before shutting down HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS.

Personally I run application shutdown before running SYS$SYSTEM:SHUTDOWN.COM
Solution

You can change the length of time before shutdown that batch queues are stopped by defining a logical SHUTDOWN$QUEUE_MINUTES.

I have this defined as -1, which means that shutdown doesn't stop the batch queues. I then shut down the CRS jobs as part of SYSHUTDWN.COM. Any batch jobs still running will be killed in the "killing all user processed phase".
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

Thanks Malcolm - you had the key that I was looking for - a simple solution.

All feedback is definitely appreciated!