108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Software Support for a Alpha DS10

SOLVED
Go to solution
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Software Support for a Alpha DS10

We have a DS10 (617MHz, 1GB Mem) OpenVMS 8.3, which I keep in my Itanium cluster to run some legacy (unported) apps. We did not carry S/W support on this system because we will never upgrade the system beyond 8.3, and we only need to keep the patches current.

The recent announcement regarding the availability of patches means that we will not be able to do this without software support.

Is there anyone out there in a similar situation, who can give me the necessary Part# for Software Support?

We came up with

Part# DY-74BAA-FA for the system itself, and

Part# QT-MT1AE-N4 (OMVS Alpha SNS Software Node Service) for the Software Support.

Can anyone who HAS software support for a DS10 (as described above), confirm that these numbers are correct, or give us the part numbers they are using for their support contract.

We would also be interested in who is providing your support, and (if you are prepared to divulge), the approximate cost for the support.

We are really only interested in getting access to future patch releases for Alpha OpenVMS 8.3.

Thanks

Dave.
6 REPLIES 6
Paul Jerrom
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Software Support for a Alpha DS10

My understanding (but hey, what would I know?) is that your ITRC login needs to be attached to a valid support agreement to get access to the patches. Presumably your IA64 support agreement will be attached to your ITRC login, and so you'd be able to access all patch areas - not sure you specifically need an Alpha agreement to access Alpha patches.
But who knows - my local HP service department doesn't even know that this has come into being.
Have fun,

Peejay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it can't be done with a VT220, who needs it?
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Dave, it would be sweet if it were that easy. IF you're located in the US then you'll probably have to (unfortunately) get the part numbers from what we used to call a "base rep" who sells services or from a reseller. You'll have to decide on what level of support you want (how many days a week, how many hours per day, etc, etc, etc). And what we used to call "metals" (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum) aren't available. Services has a whole different naming structure for 5X8 (5 days, eight hours per day), 24X5, 24X7...

It would also be prudent to check the requirements for current support since V8.3 is "one release back" from the most recent release. That information should be available at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/openvms_supportchart.html

bob
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Valid support agreements must contain at least one of the following Offers:
- HA156AC ├в HP Software Updates Service
- HA172AC ├в HP License Subscription Service
- HA173AC ├в HP SW Media and Documentation Updates Service

Thanks Paul,
Now the appropriate response is "Ssssh!!"

Dave
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

What is legal and what access is possible may be different things.

I suspect that the restrictions have not been imposed yet since the ftp site is still accessible.

Is there a likelihood that HP will provide an official notification when the new policy will take effect.

If I remember, the original notification was "... 17th September, or soon after..."

dave