New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stand alone backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
nipun_2
Regular Advisor

Hi Ian,
Thanks for pointing out the space I put it but somehow in copy paste it changes. I apparicate you looking at the finer details.

So I will include

$$$ backup /image /verify /LABEL=SYSBK/MEDIA=COMP dkb0: mka300:MAY10_05_BK.BCK/SAVE_SET /block=65535

/LABEL=SYSBK/MEDIA=COMP on your BACKUP command
instead of /ignore=label

Regarding file size I am not clear of the listing file. But for now I will not worry about the size as I want to get jsut the backup done in the right manner the second time I do backup I will look into size aspect.
Nipun
Steve Nimr
Advisor

Nipun,

On VMS 6.2 it complains about the location of the /media=compact qualifier. I don't have later versions of VMS so I don't know if it's relative but in this version you need that qualifier after the tape device.

I'm doing a standalone b/u on a 6.2 disk right now. I can give you the tape time in about 6 hours. I've also done tests to disk. Here are the disk times for a 4403591 block saveset- with rms/buf=4/block=100 it took 01:14:00 without rms buffers 05:26:00.

Steve
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

You MUST specify /DENS=DLT8000 (or whatever) or you will get the density used on the previous init command (e.g. on your 8 years old drive). So only specifying compaction is not enough. We noticed this because our new drive was not getting its capacity during backup.

Wim@home
Wim
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

An easy way to set this up for ease of getting it right with time stamps -- create a command procedure that contains all of the commands and insert

$ SHOW TIME

after every command. You can have the command procedure in the [000000] directory of the disk you are backing up -- so then when you boot from the CD you can do something like this:

$ mount/override=ID/nowrite :
$ @:[000000]standalone_backup

You could make the command procedure smart enough to figure out the name of the saveset for you.

In the past, I've found it useful to put the device name into the saveset name for ease of remembering where the saveset came from:

20050510_dkb300. would be a useful saveset name in my way of looking at it.

Another thing that I have seen improve the backup performance in addition to using the maximum block size (65024) is to increase the XOR group size with the /GROUP_SIZE. I usually use something like /GROUP_SIZE=35 or 40. This means that less of the tape is being consumed by the extra blocks for error recovery.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Steve Nimr
Advisor

Hi,

The tape backup was the fastest. It took under 35 minutes. I used:
$ backup /image /verify /ignore=label dkd1: -mkb500:sys.sav/save/block=65535/media=compact

Configuration is:
AS4100 VMS6.2
TZ88 tape drive
When the disk was the destination
HSZ70 controller to a JBOD set.

I did it twice to verify my times and compared the listings from the disk save to the tape save.