108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Works Arrary MA8000 HSG80 management

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Storage Works Arrary MA8000 HSG80 management

I am attemting to install the ACS Agent on VMS 7.3.1 so I can use the SWCC software to manage a Storage Works Array with HSG80 controllers. I have the correct software installed but do not know how to answer one of the config items.
The config asks for the CCL device so the agent can talk to the Array. The CCL is enabled on the HSG with an ID of 999 but I am assuming I should see a device name for it when executing a show dev on VMS.
Has anyone configured this Agent before and could give some insight on what I should be seeing ?
Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Look for a device named $1$GGA999: - you have set the array to SCSI-3 (SET THIS_CONTROLLER SCSI_VERSION=SCSI-3), no? If not, make sure you have no unit D0 - this will be overlayed by the CCL if you switch to SCSI-3 and reboot both controllers.

Of course, if you have multiple storage arrays these identifiers need to be unique.

I have not worked with the latest version, but earlier agents were not very robust. If there was a problem with client authentication (the agent was very picky with nodename/domain case), the agent crashed with an 'invalid stack' status code which was visible via $ACCOUNTING.

Don't be too frustrated if it doesn't work for the first time - I have it seen working!
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

THanks, I see the GGA device .. Just overlooked it..
What if there are two HSG80 controller and the server has mulitiple paths ? Does the "other" controller need to be changed to a different ID or does it not matter as long as I have one defined ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The identifier for the CCL applies to both controllers - it doesn't matter where you set it, you can even say 'SET OTHER_CONTROLLER IDENTIFIER=n'. What do you see when you enter:
$ show device /multipath
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

show device /multipath
$1$GGA88: Online 0 4/ 4 PGA0.5000-1FE1-0018-E4A3
Beings I have 2 HSG80s and two FC ports each all 4 paths are showing.

I was able to get the Agent running. Now working on SWCC Client.

You help is greatly appreciated.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Any tips on the SWCC client getting a Valid name; no data error message when attempting to use the storage window ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. Do you have a problem entering the correct domain name of the client? Can you try to login via TELNET from the client and see what OpenVMS believes the name is?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I get the below when using the "Storage Works CC HGS8ACS8.5"

TCP Error 11004: WSANO_DATA Valid Name, no data record of requested type
The requested name was valid and was found in the database but, it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for.

If I use the SWCC navigator I can successfully add the new server. The tree is populated with the disk subsystem, so I know something is talking right but when double clicking on the storage window I get a non descript error.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's been some time that I have worked with this and, unfortunately, my colleague is tying up both Alphas for his Tru64 Unix Cluster right now :-(

Are you sure you have entered all client information properly? Last time I checked the agent did even care if the domain name was uppercase or not!

The password comes only into play when your are trying to change the configuration - there will be a separate pop-up.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

First.. Thanks again for you following this thread, your help is greatly appreciated.

I did find the SWCC_AGENT.LOG file and it is definiatly complaining about authentication.
I have tried a number of different entries for the agent entries. i.e. IP address, hostname, hostname in host file, FQDN as returned by DNS etc..

I will keep truding along. I also have EMC's ECC software and run into the same issue when trying to get a connection there as well.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Tim