3707 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Storageworks RAID and missing manual...system disk problem

Robert Young_13
Advisor

Storageworks RAID and missing manual...system disk problem

This is from the Alpha 2100 users guide for the Storageworks 200 RAID system

If you copy the contents of a system disk to your RAID subsystem using the BACKUP/IMAGE command,
for example, you need to repeat several steps in the data device installation procedure, as described in
the StorageWorks RAID Array 200 Subsystem Family Software User’s Guide for OpenVMS AXP, AA-Q6WVA- TE, in order to make the second device a bootable device.

Does anyone know where to find this specific manual? Short of that, does anyone know or have the steps it refers to documented someplace? I've searched online but can not find this "specific"  one.

Obviously, I am having probs with a restored system on a RAID 5.

5 REPLIES 5
Hoff
Honored Contributor

This controller is a poor one.   I'd replace that KZPAC / SWXCR with something better and more reliable,  and for various reasons, but if you really want to continue to endure  it and its various limits and oddities and issues, then search for some links and details here: 

<http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/564>

Here's a copy of the StorageWorks RAID Array 200 Online Management Utility for OpenVMS AXP (AA–Q6WVB–TE) manual, too.

There'll probably be some follow-up discussion in the comp.os.vms thread OP has started, too.  I'll link back here and to the manual over there.

Rcyoung
Occasional Advisor

Does the manual link you mentioned cover the same info as "the StorageWorks RAID Array 200 Subsystem Family Software User’s Guide for OpenVMS AXP, AA-Q6WVA- TE,"? The PN is slightly different but yours could be a later version? I was working off a ref in an old manual. I really need to find out how to make it bootable after the restore.
Rcyoung
Occasional Advisor

I think I found it in your manual. Another question... Would the reference to SYS$MANAGER:SWXCR_E$STARTUP apply when running VMS 7.1 and higher with the PCI RAID card mentioned? Just trying to make sure that it is not referring only to the EISA type RAaID card.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

OK.  Opinion follows.   I prefer to avoid the SWXCR series controllers.  I usually prefer to replace these with a different external RAID and preferably with less-old and more-capacious disks; either new disks transplanted into the SBB bricks, or wholesale replacement with Universal-class disks in a new SCSI shelf.

You should already have what you need installed, as you've previously had a card present.  

Unless you've swapped an EISA SWXCR for a PCI SWXCR?  If so, boot the box, see if it finds the SWXCR, and work from there.  

I'd not expect the need to run the startup on a more recent version of VMS (but it's been a couple of years since I last spotted a SWXCR and its old and dinky SBBs in use in the wild, and that was followed by "swappage"), but based on:

1. When the PCSI load procedure completes, add the following line to your

system’s startup file to ensure that the system recognizes the controller each

time you boot the system: $ @SYS$MANAGER:SWXCR_E$STARTUP

it'll be pretty easy to tell if your VMS version automatically sees the card on boot or not, so you can adapt your startup to your needs.  Boot the box without that.  Do you see the SWXCR storage?  If not, you need to add the startup to your system startup.

I'd start looking to replace the SWXCR RAID controller and the associated (dinky) SBB storage devices, and would then probably also look to replace that AlphaServer 2100, as that box is big and hot and old and slow, and well up into the vintage where stuff just starts failing.  Beyond the SWCXR, that is.

Rcyoung
Occasional Advisor

Yeah!!!......... She booted!

I agree a newer RAID would be great, and a newer Alpha (or an emulator) too...... But a bird in the hand ( meaning minimal $$$$$$$ outlay) carries a lot of weight. It's also used a lot as a backup system, so hopefully it will last until I retire in a few years!