New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange stuff in DECW

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Strange stuff in DECW

AS500 with VMS 7.3.
Station rebooted this morning and shows series of 2 points like this all over the screen. Starting from the window in which it says decw starting up (so also the login window and cde).

.. .. ..
.. ..
.. ..
.. ..

I tried power cycle. No luck. It stays.
KEA!X on PC can start a session on the station that look normal. Nothing changed on the station (did a dir to be sure).

Any idea ?

Wim
Wim
6 REPLIES 6
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

BTW : the points are very light grey.

Wim
Wim
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Either your video card is broken, or the screen itself - or the connection between the two. I don't think there is something rotton within DecWindows since the Xserver on your PC works fine.

To find out: exchange the monotor. If the problem persists, the video might be broken, if not, it's the old monitor.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Replaced screen and cables. Same reaction.
Used decw instead of cde. Idem.

Must be the graphics card.

Wim
Wim
Edwin Gersbach_2
Valued Contributor
Solution

Wim,

this seems to be kind of an aging problem.

A few month ago I suddenly had the same problem with my AS500. After switsching cables and monitors (mine is dual screen) I went to the cellar and removed 3 cards from stored systems. One had ten time as much bad dots, another had slightly more and the third one was about the same.

As we no longer have them under contract and I don't want to open another douzend boxes to eventually find a good card, I have to live with this.

Edwin
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Thanks. We are lucky and have lots of half broken stations around. I'll see to replace the card.

Wim
Wim
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

If AS500 has a PCI bus and your requirements are not too high, you can look for rather cheap cards like S3TRIO64 or Permedia2 (Both supported by VMS). Higher demand meand higher price. Take care for some mid-level and high-end cards, their driver may require EV6 processor (The driver for 3DLabs Oxygen VX1 for instance, at least, 2 years ago))

Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager