1752577 Members
4854 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Strange username for tcpip$inetacp

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Strange username for tcpip$inetacp

I booted my system with decnet disabled and tcpip too. And with an empty sysstartup_vms.com. And with decw disabled.

Then I login as SYSMGR_WVW (uic 7,3) and do @sys$manager:systartup.com that contains a submit/user=system. The file that is submitted starts tcpip (and other stuff but out of this scope).

When I normally boot this system it also does the same submits/us.

When I normally boot, the username of TCPIP$INETACP is INTERnet. However, with this "manual" boot I get the username of the one doing the submit (SYSMGR_WVW) instead of SYSTEM.

I get this on 4 GS160 nodes (clusters) but not when I do it on an AS500.

All using VMS 7.3 with tcpip 5.3 eco 2.

WHY ???

Wim
Wim
11 REPLIES 11
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: Strange username for tcpip$inetacp

Some evidence enclosed.

Wim
Wim
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

well thats interesting. do you have in
your sysmgr_www acount, something in the
login.com that has a redefine of submit? Dean
Walter Miller_1
Valued Contributor

I would start with how does the "User:" get set to INTERnet in a normal startup - there is no user INTERnet in the sysuaf file. Since the TCPIP$INETACP process is started by a simple run 'image' /detached/uic=[1,4]... command in TCPIP$INET_STARTUP.COM, my guess is that SYS$SYSTEM:ECPIP$INETACP.EXE is what sets the "User:" name. Have you checked to see if both the AS500 and GS160 nodes are running the same version of the executable? Also is the AS500 also clusted or standalone?
Walter Miller_1
Valued Contributor

Fumble fingers - of course above I meant SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$INETACP.EXE
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

No redef of submit. As you see in evidence I posted, the job runs under SYSTEM.
The user INTERnet doesn't exists and this is normal. The program that creates the process can put in the field username anything it likes.

Wim
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Wim,

I do not have the time to experiment here, but I suggest that you do a SHOW PROCESS/ALL in both cases and compare the output. I would also try the same SUBMIT, but from the SYSTEM account (of course, with the same SHOW PROCESS/ALL).

My suspicion is that you will find a difference in the environments surrounding the SUBMIT, most likely in the various privileges that are enabled. SUBMIT/USER= requires CMKRNL, and at least on the one system that I checked (VAX 6.2), gives an error message if CMKRNL is not enabled.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Bob,

I have all privs enabled except bypass.
SYSTEM has all privs enabled.

And I don't have a GS160 to test it again. And why is the AS500 not having the problem ?

Note also that the UIC of teh acp is [1,4] (ana/sys).

It's already running for a week without problems. Just hoped someone could explain why it happens.

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Gets stranger.

The cluster is now up for 10 days and 1 of the processes has now name INTERnet. And sometimes it switches back to SYSMGR_WVW.

I tested this in a loop of 1 minute and found the name changes from time to time.

And I ran the same loop on another cluster that was booted normally. Here I also found the acp switching username.

Why o why ?

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

When I do a rlogin, it changes username. When I do a logout it's INTERnet again.
Tested it with SYSTEM. User name changed to SYSTEM.

I think the rule is : after someone logs in : his username is assigned to inetacp. It's stays like that until some logout is done (of course tcp related).

Wim
Wim