108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Striped datasets

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Robert Gezelter: RAID may allow you to make a striped set of two but it doesn't make any sense to create a striped set of two even if it were allowed. "Generally, for 2 disks you would use shadowing (also called mirroring) rather than striping." I never said striping was the same as shadowing (or mirroring).
Lawrence
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

Lawrence,

A 2 member stripe set has almost the full capacity of the combined available capacity of the 2 stripeset members. A 2 member shadowset has only the capacity of the smallest of its 2 members available. There are people who use 2 member stripesets -- regardless of whether or not this makes sense from a reliability standpoint.

Personally, I would rather have a combination that is more reliable, like a stripeset of members made up of shadowsets or raid5+3 raidsets for a "plaid" arrangement. I prefer that when using raid to build up multidevice virtual volumes that that they be able to survive the failure of a single physical device and allow for hot replacement of that device.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Robert Gezelter: I assumed that Dudley is running in a Production environment. RAID 0+1 may allow you to make a striped set of two but it doesn't make any sense to create a striped set of two on a Production system even if it were allowed. "Generally, for 2 disks you would use shadowing (also called mirroring) rather than striping." I never said striping was the same as shadowing (or mirroring). We don't use 2 disk striping on development systems either because we often use our development systems as spares for production systems.
Running Raid 0 in a Production environment is a single point failure waiting to happen unless the disks are also shadowed. In this instance there is no indication that the disks are shadowed.
Lawrence
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Robert Gezelter: I strongly agree. I was not precise enough in what I was talking about.
Lawrence