Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping Alpha Servers - where do i enter new wwid

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karen Lee_3
Frequent Advisor

Swapping Alpha Servers - where do i enter new wwid

I have two alpha servers connected to 2 HSG80's. I have purchased 2 new servers and will swapping out the hardware. I'm planning on removing the old servers, and simply sliding in the new servers.

Will I need to enter a new wwid? will wwidmgr show the new HBA ID'S?
4 REPLIES
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Re: Swapping Alpha Servers - where do i enter new wwid

"It depends . . ."

You will need to run wwidmgr and configure the boot and possibly dumpfile device on the new systems.

Your storage configuration will determine the behavior. If there is no zoning and the controllers are configured to accept all connections, yes. If the SAN is configured with any sort of access limits you'll need to modify that configuration as well. Unless you're running a cluster, I would strongly recommend limiting disk access to specific nodes.

If you're replacing two older systems with something updated and plan on using the same boot root and configuration plan on running autogen several times with the new systems. Recyling boot roots and node names is common enough.

Andy Bustamante
There nine and sixty ways . . .
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor
Solution

Karen, you say 'swapping out' 2 servers?

If you can transfer the old Fibre cards to the new machines, the WWID will follow and you won't need to make any changes.

Rob.
Karen Lee_3
Frequent Advisor

great idea - that is a good option - Thanks
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Nice touch Robert.

Please check the speed on the newer cards. The older HBAs were 1 GB, anything purchased today is likely to be 2 GB at least.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net