1753917 Members
8266 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sybase on 7.3-2

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Sybase on 7.3-2

We currently use Sybase 11.0.3.3 SWR 8706 on VMS 7.3.

Is anyone using it on 7.3-2 or higher ? Problems ?

Wim
Wim
14 REPLIES 14
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim,

probably of limited use to you, but anyhow:

We use _just_ the OmniConnect of Sybase, on 7.3-2

Initially, it just WOULD NOT start.
Accounting pointed the way , but Authorize settings seemed more than sufficient.

If you know Sysbase a bit (much better than I, I presume) you will also know its boot sequence. Somewhere deep in there is the actual RUN command, _WITH THE PROCESS QUOTA SPECIFIED_. And THOSE are too meaher for 7.3-2. Read the Installation Guide (I have it not here, I remember the global principle but not the chapter) on why, and how much, to be more generous.

Well, apply that idea to the RUN, and you are home.

hth.

Proost.

Have one on me (Duvel, I assume)

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Layne Burleson_1
Regular Advisor

Wim,

We use the Sybase System 11 on alpha VMS 7.3-2 with no problems. I'm not a Sybase person, but have been told by my support person that we did not have to make any changes after upgrading from 7.3-1 to 7.3-2.
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Hi Wim

One of my customers is using Sybase for a finance application.
We are using OpenVMS 7.3-2 but the problem is, that Sybase is no longer supported. The Application is still up and running, but there is absolutely no support from Sybase, even if you are willing to pay for this support.

My customer recognized that problem years ago and started with porting the application to Tru64 (!!!!) Then HP annnounced that they will not continue with Tru64 and so my customer started with porting the application from VMS (some parts from Tru64) to Redhut Linux.

I guess it would be more simple to change the Database and continue running the application on VMS

Regards

Heinz
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Heinz,

Changing db is not an option. In that case the applic will be rewritten.

Quotas : known problem. Just push it to the limits (esp. on the subject of number of connection) and check how much is used. A lot more is needed than is documented (using tcp).

The problem is that a lot of money is handled by the applic (10 B.EUR per day). So we must be careful.

Wim
Wim
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

Wow, you are moving 10 B.EUR per day around using software that is not supported by its vendor?

That looks like a daily headache to me!

By the way, we are using Sybase OpenClient on OpenVMS V7.3-2. I do not know how to find the version, but I do know that it is not the last version that was released by Sybase.

Regards,

Bart Zorn
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Did anyone try to translate the Sybase exe files to itanium (or are they to priviledged) ?

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Anyone tried Sybase on 8.2x ?

Wim
Wim
allenzhang
Occasional Advisor

We are going to migrate our core application from Alpha 4100 to ES45 VMS 7.3. and we will and have to use Sybase 11.0.3.3. Testing being done and we haven't found any known issues.

By the way, what's the total memory you've allocated to Sybase?
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

We are also on 7.3. Hoped on good news from a higher VMS version.

We have allocated less than 1 GB to each Sybase server. Most of them are around 100 MB (we have 9 on 1 cluster).

Note that the quota doc is no longer valid. Try opening all available sessions and you end up in RWAST.

I found that memory quotas are rounded DOWN based upon 16384. Thus all quotas calculated must be rounded up first to avoid that they will be rounded down.

I found formula correction based upon tests :
DIOLM : add the number_of_user_connections to the old formula
BYTLM : add the number_of_user_connection * 20000

Wim
Wim