Operating System - OpenVMS
1748151 Members
3729 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sysgen variable change require reboot?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Sysgen variable change require reboot?

Hi, it's that time of the year again :P

In the coming weeks the DST is changed here in Sweden and I would like to fix an old problem that never got corrected here (was an issue before I took over).

What I want to do is to set the auto_dlight_saving setting to 1 but I can't reboot at the moment.

Is it neccessery to reboot the machines when I set these values or can it wait?
And is there any way to get the system to find this update without rebooting?

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
4 REPLIES 4
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Fredrik,

If the parameter is marked DYNAMIC in the display to a SYSGEN SHOW command, then a reboot is not needed (the version was not mentioned, in 7.3-2, AUTO_DLIGHT_SAV is NOT dynamic; I do not have a later system "hot" at this instant).

If it is not DYNAMIC, a reboot will be needed before the setting takes effect. If all that is worried about is the next DST change, then it can wait.

Please note that forgetting about a pending setting change made but not active is a common accident.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the answer. I forgot to write it, but my system actually is a OpenVMS Alpha 7.3-2.

So there is no need to reboot it when the change has been done *phew*. Everything I've read on the internet so far hasn't really said anything other then that a reboot is required for this too work (the auto_dlight_sav part, but I guess that's just because it's not active before the reboot). I've got limited experience dealing with sysgen and the help files didn't really clarify this situation.

I agree, probably quite common problem. But I need to plan reboots ahead and I don't want to miss this window incase the machines decide crash for some reason before this.

Anyway, even if I can't get a reboot done in time I've made a queued batch job with the com procedure from sys$common:[syshlp.examples]daylight_savings.com, which after I looked at it seems to ignore running if the auto_dlight_sav sysgen variable is set to 1.

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Fredrik,

If you could send me a mail with your contactinfo, I could give you a call and I could explain more about SYSGEN, AUTOGEN.....in swedish.

mvh,

Hakan Zanderau
hakan(dot)zanderau(at)ha-solutions(dot)se

Jag jobbade tidigare i VMS Support Teamet p├Г┬е Digital/Compaq/HP
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

D=dynamic ... almost.

For stuff related to disks (acp*) you need to remount the disks.
For stuff related to processes you need to restart the process.

Wim
Wim