108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System Crash of DS 25 after CPU Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
C.Eichert
Advisor

System Crash of DS 25 after CPU Upgrade

I have severe system crashes after installation of a second CPU in a DS25 "INVEXCEPTN, Exception while above ASTDEL"
The original supply was with one CPU only. VMS 7.3-2 was installed with one CPU. Due to heavy CPU load of the application, we decided to make the CPU upgrade. I run Autogen after installation of the second CPU. The CPU load has been OK since then, but then the crashes have been occured occassionally. Load tests with both CPU were OK for 10 hours. HP Support replaced already main board and memory without success. Several patches have been installed. The eventlog.sys does not contain any helpfull information. Sysdump.dmp was sent to HP for evaluation. Up to now no answer.
Does anybody has an idea to fix the problem?
26 REPLIES 26
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Re: System Crash of DS 25 after CPU Upgrade

Hi,

What image is causing the crash?

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

There are a couple of people here who are experts on crashes. Can you post the clue file (from SYS$ERRORLOG) and the results of PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY as text file attachments here.

Attached are the last CLUE file and the product overview. I forgot to mention, that also the code SSRVEXCEPT and XQPERR were given as bugcheck. But mostly INVEXCEPTN.
The current process during crash is always different.

Thanks for your reply

Christoph
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Is the newest firmware (V6.9) installed and are
the CPU's identical in speed and revision?

mfg Kalle
C.Eichert
Advisor

The two CPU are identically in speed and revision. The firmware was upgraded to V6.9
end of december.

Christoph
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Christoph,
Your logs show that the INVEXCEPTN is in the TCPIP (Module : TCPIP$INTERNET_SERVICE)
I was looking through the TCPIP site and thought the following URL could be of help to you

http://ftp.support.compaq.com.au/pub/patches/vms/vax/v7.3/tcpip/5.3/dec-vaxvms-tcpip_eco-v0503-181-4.README

Since you are saying that you are having this issue since CPU upgrade, this thread is of interest to me now :).

I would be as interested as you to follow this thread and see how people arrive at a solution to your problem....

regards
Mobeen
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

there is a VMS732_UPDATE considated patch kit which is recommended.

Mobeen,

I made already an update DEC-AXPVMS-TCPIP_ECO-V0504-154-4. Does it contain the patches from VAXVMS-TCPIP_ECO-V0503-181-5 that you recommends? The product details you can find in the Clue-File attached to answer from 11:39.

Regards
Christoph
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Christoph,
The one that you have applied should have all of those 5.3 ... and that should not be an issue

rgds
Mobeen