New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Crash of DS 25 after CPU Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Christoph,

the idea of 'try a new installation' is NOT the way to troubleshoot OpenVMS problems...

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Christoph, wait and see the results of what you have done so far. Changing too many things at once only causes confusion.

If the system is covered by warrenty or hardware service contract then the lack of parts is HP's problem not yours so don't let them forget that.

Christoph,

I had a look at all of the 25 CLUE files. 12 of them clearly show inconsistencies regarding the failing instruction, register contents and failing virtual address (in the signal array). Those 'inconsistent' crashes have all happened on CPU 1 - as early as 5-OCT-2004, the first crash after adding the new CPU.

The inline crashes (XQPER, NETDLLERR, NOTFCBFCB) cannot be diagnosed from a CLUE file.

As a general rule, log a call for every system crash - if you can. OpenVMS does not crash that often and you (or your service provider) can learn something from every crash. This will also allow repeat problems to be identified as early as possible.

And if you can't log a call, post the CLUE information in ITRC, there are a few people around, that can help with the first steps during crash analysis.

Volker.
C.Eichert
Advisor

Ian,

the DS25 has been running now for 10 days without crash. It looks like "MULTITHREAD=1" solved the problem. By default it is set to 1, I did not changed the setting to 2. Did AUTOGEN changed it to 2? (I ran it after installation of second CPU.) Is there a relationship between MULTITHREAD and MULTIPROCESSING?

Christoph
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

setting to MULTITHREAD to 1 is a workaround.
I expect AUTOGEN set it to 2 when you added the second CPU. MULTITHREAD > 1 allows multiple threads in the same process to execute concurrently on multiple CPUs.

The DS25 has been running now for 20 days without crash. I will close the thread now.
C.Eichert
Advisor

Closing thread