1752699 Members
6314 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Crash

byron moore
Advisor

System Crash

We had a system crash today. I'm not sure how to read the crash dump. I have attached some info from the dump file.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Byron,

Ok, the attachment is from the Error Log. Getting at the cause of the crash will require looking at the DUMP file (if one was correctly configured at the time of the crash). The Dump file is generally SYS$SYSTEM:SYSDUMP.DMP, although it can be in other places.

It is also extremely helpful if a posting mentions the hardware and software configuration. Information including processor type, model, and OpenVMS version are vital to giving those who follow this forum the context, and allow appropriate suggestions to be offered.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

did this crash just take out 1 soft partition or did it crash the whole system ?

hth

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Use the ANALYZE /CRASH command on the crashdump file that is associated with the particular OpenVMS Galaxy instance (what the HP folks like to call the vPAR) that crashed here, and request the CLUE CRASH from the crashdump, and send that detail to HP for evaluation.

Also post the CLUE CRASH here if you want.

If you've not patched this OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 system to current (and a barrage of ECOs were released today, some of which include crashes), then go do that now; the "patch tax" has just come due, and HP will almost undoubtedly ask that the patches be applied.

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

you might find installing webes useful for fault analysis, downloads and docs hee :-

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/svctools/webes/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

hth

byron moore
Advisor

I'm going to attach the dump file in a moment.

I'm also having an issue with advanced server where Windows computers are unable to connect. Everything seems to be up and running anything I can check?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Please attach the CLUE CRASH output. (The dump file is typically huge.)

Unless it's leading to the crash here, please start a separate thread for problems with getting PATHWORKS Server (oldest stuff), Advanced Server (previous generation), or CIFS/Samba services (current) to work.

And you'll need to add more words around the particular problem you're having and the configuration you're using. There are potentially settings around the required NTLM authentication, depending on which Windows version and associated service pack, and which host product is involved here.