4940 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: System Service Interception on OpenVMS

JohnRD
Visitor

System Service Interception on OpenVMS

Hi,

Does anyone know if DEC/Compaq/HP produced any documentation about the System Service Interception API on OpenVMS Alpha?

If so, where or how I can get a copy of the document(s)?

Thanks

John

17 REPLIES 17
John McL
Trusted Contributor

I'm sure that John Gillings will give you the details but conceptually it's pretty simple - just provide a new function with the same name as the system service function, and within that new function do a LIB$FIND_IMAGE_SYMBOL to activate the image and locate the sys service function, then call it.

In your own function you can add whatever diagnostics or monitoring that you want to add.  Also you can step into your own function from the debugger and get full access whereas with the system service images it's not so easy. 

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmm,

What problem are you trying to solve, or just curios?

Ever heard about Google? Wonderful invention! Try it some day?!

it leads me to: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/v8/ssi.pdf

Of course it helps knowing that that existed, having talked to Ruth about it :-)

And what about $ HELP  SET PROC /SSLOG and $ HELP **bleep**/SSLOG.

[edit: stupid computers (programmers).... I'll let you analyze as to why it bleeb my perfectly honorable reply ]

Now if you experiemnt with that, I recommend to SPAWN first, then try.

When I last used it it was not entirely stable.

I also received the following text and code from Harmut B, some 5 years ago.

See below.

Hope this helps,

Hein.

----------------------- Hartmut --------------------------------------------------------

If you want to use just ssi$declare_intercept.

I append a small example, which I tested on I64/V8.3-1H1.

The SSI_BLOCK is filled like

static SSI_BLOCK ssi_block = {
       0, 0,
       SSI$C_LENGTH, DYN$C_MISC, DYN$C_SSI_BLOCK,
       SSI$K_VERSION_QUAD_LIST, 0,
       pre, post};

So you will get into your pre() and post() for all system services, once you successfully called the declare routine.

To do processing just for one system service, you need to check against its declared address, as in starlet.h or for example with a "extern int sys$asctim();". Once in your pre() or post() this system service address is in ps_ssadr.

You can make the call to ssi$declare_intercept from your main image. If you don't have control over main, you can place the call in an init routine in a shareable image and let it call during the image initialization via the lib$initialize mechanism.

On Alpha, if your shareable image is not activated with main, that is SYS$SSISHR is not activated with main, then you can't intercept system service calls from main (and all the shareable images it depends on).

Yes, you should be able to do the same with replacing a few system services. You should also be able to use a single generic replacement routine. There you check the passed ps_ssadr against you list and call the original system service as passed in ss_ssadr. I didn't try that, so far, and therefore don't have an example.

You just link against the SYS$SSISHR, that's all.

That's my understanding, it may be incomplete or not 100% correct, but I hope it helps to get you started or even going.

#include <pdscdef.h>
#include <ssdef.h>
#include <ssidef.h>
#include <starlet.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <dyndef.h>

#include <descrip.h>

static char timbuf[32] ;
static $DESCRIPTOR (timbuf_d, timbuf) ;
static short int timlen ;

static int preasctim;
static int postss;

static void pre(int *arg_list, int (*ss_ssadr)(), SSI_PDSC *ps_ssadr, int retadr, SSI_BLOCK *ssi_block_ptr) {
	if ((int(*)())ps_ssadr==sys$asctim)
		preasctim++;}
static void post() {postss++;}

static SSI_BLOCK ssi_block = {
	0, 0, SSI$C_LENGTH, DYN$C_MISC, DYN$C_SSI_BLOCK, SSI$K_VERSION_QUAD_LIST, 0,
	pre, post};

main() {
	int status;
	printf ("preasctim: %d, postss: %d\n", preasctim, postss);
	status= ssi$declare_intercept (&ssi_block);
	if (status!=SS$_NORMAL)
		printf ("status: 0x%x\n", status);
	else {
		printf ("hello ssi\n");
		sys$asctim (&timlen,&timbuf_d,0,0);
		printf ("time: %.*s\n", timlen, timbuf) ;
		fsync (fileno (stdout));
		printf ("preasctim: %d, postss: %d\n", preasctim, postss);
	}
}

JohnRD
Visitor

Thanks for the responses.

I am experimenting with SSI in order to capture the system calls issued by an old application.

I had already found using Google the journals on the subject written by John Gillings and Ruth Goldenberg. Though they are extremely interesting, they did not provide enough practical information since I am not an OpenVMS internals guru.

Ruth did mention at the end of her journal "For information on the use of SSI, please check HP OpenVMS System Documentation home page for forthcoming documentation", but I have not yet been successful in finding this information.

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>> to capture the system calls issued by an old application

Do you want to count the calls for one or all system services? You probably want to capture what your application directly calls and not what the RTLs call on behalf of the application. You probably have a linker map or can generate one, so you know the system services from the map file. If you don't have the objects to link the application, you can use XPD to get the names. But then, you can't use ssi, because you have to link your application with an object or shareable image which provides your ssi stuff.  

This is what  XPD shows when analyzing itself:
$ mc []xpd xpd.exe
eXternal Procedure and Data list (Alpha), version 1.5
CMA$TIS_SHR:
offset 0x100 maps to CMA$TIS_VMSERRNO_GET_ADDR, type is procedure
offset 0xe0 maps to CMA$TIS_ERRNO_GET_ADDR, type is procedure
DECC$SHR -> SYS$SHARE:DECC$SHR_EV56:
offset 0x2710 maps to DECC$STRLEN, type is procedure
offset 0x4f0 maps to DECC$GA_STDERR, type is data
offset 0x4e0 maps to DECC$GA_STDOUT, type is data
LIBOTS:
offset 0x1b0 maps to OTS$MOVE, type is procedure
SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS:
offset 0x830 maps to SYS$PARSE, type is procedure

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

I've been able to intercept system services using ssi$declare_interrupt.

On Alpha V8.3, I was only able to get the intercepts to work with RUN/DEBUG (something to do with getting SYS$SSISHR activated).

A few things to look out for. You need to be very careful of recursion. Anything that directly or indirectly invokes a system service from inside the pre or post routine could put you into a recursion loop. You can use a simple static flag in both pre and post routines so they only act on first level calls.

pre(args...)
static busy

if not busy then 
    busy=true
      do stuff here...
    busy=false
  endif

end

I was able to do I/O from the protected code. Counters showed thousands of other invokations even for trivially simple programs (there appears to be some kind of polling from DEBUG)

You can detect specific system services by looking at the PDSC address and comparing with the global symbol (as shown in Hein/Hartmut's the C example). However, I couldn't find a simple way to identify an arbitrary incoming service call. There are obvious brute force mechanisms, but for the huge volume of calls you're likely to get, the lookup needs to be fast.

I was trying to create a generic routine to dump the name and argument list of all system services called. The simplest mechanism I can think of is to dump name/PDSC pairs, based on a shareable image /NAMES list from SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS, then dump the PDSC of each call, along with the argument list, then post process the listings to resolve the addresses into names.

Use SSI$DECLARE_REPACEMENT PDSC_Of_Target,YourRoutine

to substitute routines (but beware, this is non-trivial!)

A crucible of informative mistakes
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>> On Alpha V8.3, I was only able to get the intercepts to work with RUN/DEBUG (something to do with getting SYS$SSISHR activated).

Works for me on Alpha and V8.3. I'm just an unpriv guest there, so I have no idea about the ECOs installed. The linker has to resolve the ssi$declare_interrupt, so you very likely linked with sys$ssishr.exe. 

$ mc []xpd ssi.exe
eXternal Procedure and Data list (Alpha), version 1.5
SYS$SSISHR:
offset 0x10 maps to SSI$DECLARE_INTERCEPT, type is procedure
offset 0x140 maps to SYS$ASCTIM, type is procedure
DECC$SHR -> SYS$SHARE:DECC$SHR_EV56:
offset 0x7b0 maps to DECC$MAIN, type is procedure
offset 0x46e0 maps to DECC$GXPRINTF, type is procedure
offset 0x2000 maps to DECC$EXIT, type is procedure
offset 0x15f0 maps to DECC$FILENO, type is procedure
offset 0x31b0 maps to DECC$FSYNC, type is procedure
offset 0x3a20 maps to DECC$$SHELL_HANDLER, type is procedure
offset 0x4e0 maps to DECC$GA_STDOUT, type is data

Do you get an error message, maybe when activating the main image? 
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

No errors, status is normal, just no execution of the pre and post routines. Example:

$ run/nodebug ssi
 ELAPSED:    0 00:00:00.00  CPU: 0:00:00.00  BUFIO: 0  DIRIO: 0  FAULTS: 0
Declare: 00000001 Pre: In 00000000 Act 00000000  Post Out 00000000 act 00000000

$ run/debug ssi

OpenVMS Alpha Debug64 Version V8.3-016

%DEBUG-I-INITIAL, Language: AMACRO, Module: SYS$MISCDEF

DBG> go
SSI_PRE 25-MAY-2012 11:53:39.35 SS: 820EBC60 PDSC: 001A08C0 From: 810CC14C Args:   7   00000000 00000080 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000
SSI_PRE 25-MAY-2012 11:53:39.35 SS: 82101290 PDSC: 0019F540 From: 810CC184 Args:   1   00000000
SSI_PRE 25-MAY-2012 11:53:39.35 SS: 820EBC60 PDSC: 001A08C0 From: 810CC14C Args:   7   00000000 00000080 00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000
SSI_PRE 25-MAY-2012 11:53:39.35 SS: 82101290 PDSC: 0019F540 From: 810CC184 Args:   1   00000000
SSI_PRE 25-MAY-2012 11:53:39.35 SS: 82100EF0 PDSC: 0019F420 From: 810CBBD4 Args:  11   00000000 7AD639C0 00000000 7AD639B8 00000000
7AD639B8 00000000 7AD639E8 00000000 00000000 00000000
SSI_PRE 25-MAY-2012 11:53:39.35 SS: 82131AB0 PDSC: 001A0110 From: 810C20C4 Args:   1   00000000
 ELAPSED:    0 00:00:00.00  CPU: 0:00:00.00  BUFIO: 2  DIRIO: 0  FAULTS: 0
Declare: 00000001 Pre: In 00000033 Act 00000006  Post Out 00000033 act 00000006
%DEBUG-I-EXITSTATUS, is '%SYSTEM-S-NORMAL, normal successful completion'
DBG>

Here are the routines (hopefully my macros are self evident)

Main routine

.ENTRY Start,^M<>
          CALL SSI_START
          MOVL R0,DeclareStat
            CALL LIB$INIT_TIMER
            CALL LIB$SHOW_TIMER
          CALL SSI_STOP
        MessageOut <<Declare: !XL Pre: In !XL Act !XL  Post Out !XL act !XL> #DeclareStat #In #ActIn #Out #ActOut>
        RET

PRE routine

.ENTRY SSI_PRE,^M<R2,R3>
        arglist args ssadr dsc retadr blk
          INCL In
          BLBS Recur,PRESkip
            MOVL #1,Recur
            INCL ActIn
              CALL FormatArgs AllArgs @args_arg(AP)
              MessageOut <<SSI_PRE !%D SS: !XL PDSC: !XL From: !XL Args: !3UL !AS> -
                                   ##0 #ssadr_arg(AP) #dsc_arg(AP) #retadr_arg(AP) #@args_arg(AP) AllArgs>
            CLRL Recur
          PRESkip: RET

This obviously has something to do with activation of SYS$SSISHR, but I don't understand the mechanism. I'd guess that most of the time this would be a diagnostic tool, so running under DEBUG would be fairly normal.

Not sure what XPD is, here's what IMAGETREE has to say about the image

$ @imagetree []ssi.exe
SSI, executable V1 RWD,RWD,R,
  SYS$SSISHR, shareable(%X'01',%X'0003E8',MATEQU) X-20 build:XBCA-0080070058 RWED,RWED,RE,RE
   Installed Open Hdr Shared Prot Lnkbl
    SYS$BASE_IMAGE, shareable(%X'56',%X'703EFE',MATEQU) ALPHA XBCA-N2O build:XBCA-0080070099 RWED,RWED,RE,RE
  SYS$SSISHR references 1 image
  LIBRTL, shareable(%X'01',%X'000001',MATLEQ) X01-001 build:XBCA-0080070005 RWED,RWED,RE,RE
   Installed Open Hdr SharAddr Lnkbl Resid
    SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS, shareable(%X'13',%X'0064E6',MATEQU) X-123 build:XBCA-0080070058 RWED,RWED,RE,RE
     Installed
  LIBRTL references 1 image
  LIBOTS, shareable(%X'01',%X'000003',MATLEQ) LIBOTS V1.5-00 build:XBC4-0080060000 RWED,RWED,RE,RE
   Installed Open Hdr SharAddr Lnkbl Resid
    SYS$PUBLIC_VECTORS (repeat)
  LIBOTS references 1 image
SSI references 3 images

A crucible of informative mistakes
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

XPD is part of the VMS Objects and Image Tool set. For an image, it lists external procedures and data.

I can't see why your code doesn't work with /nodebug. From the output of your IMAGETREE, SYS$SSISHR is linked with your main image, so it is activated with main and it is correctly installed as a protected shareable image.  SYS$SSISHR has init code, which has to run. But I don't see what would prevent that from running especially with /nodebug. The obvious difference is Macro32 vs. C, but that should not cause the different behavior. At least when I modify my example to avoid the CRTL dependency, it still works as expected.
JohnRD
Visitor

I have created a shareable executable linked with SYS$SSISHR, and have managed to intercept system services such as  SYS$ASCTIM issued from COBOL, but I have found that the RMS system services such as SYS$CONNECT and SYS$RMS_CONNECT are not being intercepted.

Is it not possible to intercept the RMS system services?

By the way, I am currently restricted and struggling with an Alpha running V7.3-2.