4972 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: T4 V4,0 MONITOR.EXE imcompatible to VMS MONITOR.EXE

Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

T4 V4,0 MONITOR.EXE imcompatible to VMS MONITOR.EXE

Just to give you a hint to avoid needless error searching:

The T4 V4.0 supplied MONITOR_ALPHA.EXE (id X-22) is not compatible with the latest MONITOR.EXE for VMS/Alpha V8.2 (id X-24).
When making reports using the standard MONITOR.EXE using binary data collected with the T4-image, ACCVIO's may occur (not always but reproducable in some cases).

Fix: copy the newer MONITOR to the T4$SYS directory under the name MONITOR_ALPHA.EXE.

regards Kalle
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Since it was just a hint I closed it.
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Karl, actually hit this problem yesterday! Another point is that if you have T4 installed and you upgrade from VMS 7.3-2 to 8.2 (what I did) T4 monitor part fails - subprocess fails to find T4$SYS:MONITOR_ALPHA.EXE (under 7.3-2 it has another name - *NODRIFT*.EXE). I suspect you can simply copy the missing image out of the T4 kit, but I elected to re-install T4, as it's so easy to do !

J.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

you could report this by email to
T4 at hp

That's what I did i parallel :-)

Kalle
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Kalle,

does the 8.2 MONITOR.EXE time drift?

IIRC, that was the cause for the T4 provided EXE files, and I think I heard the time drift suppress code didn't make it into the 8.2 image.

cu,
Martin
Jess Goodman
Esteemed Contributor

What is T4?
I have one, but it's personal.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

What is T4
from
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/OpenVMS/products/t4/

"T4 stands for Total Timeline Tracking Tool. It runs on HP OpenVMS systems with the purpose of capturing and consolidating important OpenVMS performance statistics. Pulling from several (currently seven) independent yet cooperating sources, T4 lets you create a relatively compact composite timeline view of the day-to-day performance of each important OpenVMS node."

Had a mail from Steve Liemann (responsible for T4). Fix for the problem is to comment out the definition of a MONITOR logical name in T4$COLLECT.COM, i.e. use the system default monitor image.

regards Kalle
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

And again an update:
The image T4$MON:EXTRACT.EXE cannot read monitor datafile created with VMS standard MONITOR.EXE (neither from V8.2 or V8.3) (gets an 'bad header format' error)

Steve Liemann may send you an updated version of the T4$mon_extract images that seem to work.

regards Kalle