108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: TAIL for OVMS IA64?

SOLVED
Go to solution
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>> Yeah sure, but how LAME are those criteria?

As lame as the implementation of a Unix, aka coreutils tool in VMS. However, this has been this way for years and nobody asked (until last month?) to improve it or got through with her/his request.

>>> $ DEFINE/SYSTEM DECC$DEFAULT_LRL 511

I wouldn't dare to do this, even if I had the privileges. DEFINE/USER is what I use and recommend when setting a CRTL feature logical. No, I didn't write the HELP text:

$ help crtl Feature_Logical_Names
                                     NOTES
          o  Do not set C RTL feature logical names for the system.
             Set them only for the applications that need them,
             because other applications including OpenVMS components
             depend on the default behavior of these logical names.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Those DECC$ logical names and the related non-modular morass can be stabiility kryptonite.  

I'd recommend those are either defined /USER only, or are embedded within specific and task-dedicated processes.   Defining those logical names with /SYSTEM risks knocking over something else, and quite possibly with an obscure error.

And I'm not arguing that TYPE /TAIL is a mess.  Just that a "log" file that's over 132 or so characters in width isn't intended for (VMS) humans.  

Like TYPE /TAIL's various issues, the lack of baked-in word-wrapping are related parts of the UI-level problems and omissions.  (When the easiest way to wrap text is GNV, there's something missing in the base OS.)

roose
Regular Advisor

Hi Steven,

I was able to compile the attached code and it seems to work! I'll test it first again with my test server before I port it over to our production cluster.

Thanks!