New Discussion юеВ

TCP/IP product installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
simon_164
Super Advisor

TCP/IP product installation

Dear All,
I have Open VMS V.7.2-2 , on the same CD there is the TCP/IP v5.1-15. Now i need to install this layered product. Whenever i am trying to install i get a product dependency error. I tried to install Open VMS from scratch and include the option to install TCP/IP, the package wasn't installed.
When i try (SHOW NETWORK) i get the error: "NO network information available". I will include in the attachement the errors I am getting.
Any Ideas??
Regards,
14 REPLIES 14
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: TCP/IP product installation

simon, can you post the whole result of
$ PRODUCT INSTALL TCPIP

Do you have a UCX/TCPIP/NAS license installed on the system? TCPIP is a layered product, most Alphas were shipped with a license for TCPIP, but it still needs to be entered before the product is installed.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Simon,

When reporting errors, please always post the EXACT command issued and the EXACT and COMPLETE error message (preferably a cut and paste). Your attachment is close, but it's missing the vital detail that tells us what's wrong.

The installation would have included a listing of dependencies earlier in the transcript.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Simon,

You do seem to have trouble getting TCP/IP installed on an OpenVMS system.
(similar threads http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=777541 and http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=775922 )
AFAIK, the installation procedure of VMS for Alpha (i.e. booting your Alpha from the distribution CD, and selecting option 1 from the menu), not only installs VMS, but also asks if TCP/IP must be installed (it doesn't care about licenses at that point). If you answer affirmative to that question, TCP/IP is installed on the system. The only thing you have to do thereafter is registering & loading the appropriate licences and configuring TCP/IP and your in business.

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Simon,
may you remove tcp/up software, which does mean it drop all tcp/ip databases?
If yes, you could:
1) view tcp/ip product with:
$ PRODUCT SHOW PROD *
the tcp/ip suite is tcpip o ucx
2) drop full version of previous installation
$ PROD REMOVE
3) Check for licensing
$ SH LICENSE
4) After of this you can reinstall
$ PROD INSTALL /SOURCE=

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
simon_164
Super Advisor

Dear All,
I have: OPENVMS-ALPHA; OPENVMS-ALPHA-USER; UCX; UCX-IP-CLIENT licenses.
Do you think i will need any other licenses?
By the way what's the differences between these?
I will try today to reformat the disks and install openvms from the start and there i will try to install TCPIP. about the error log it is attached to this thread.
Regards,
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Simon,

As for the licenses, that seems enough.
As for the errors:

%PCSI-W-SFTREF, product DEC AXPVMS TCPIP V5.1-15 references DEC AXPVMS VMS
-PCSI-W-SFTRF1, referenced product is not installed and a kit is not available

This could mean that the PCSI database is somehow corrupt. "DEC AXPVMS VMS" is normally the last in the list (meaning the first installed) if you do a PRODUCT SHOZ HISTORY.

Kris (aka Qkcl)
I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram on a silver-black phantom bike...
Kris Clippeleyr
Honored Contributor

Simon,

Sorry, made a typo.
Should be
PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY

Kris (aka Qkcl)
simon_164
Super Advisor

for PRODUCT SHOW HIST there is : product register, then product removed, then registered then removed. because i did all these stuff. However when PRODUCT SHOW PROD i get the insdeperror. Do you think that the package is corrupt? if it is, how to install tcpip. I badly need to telnet the system. Because in the company we have only one ALPHA system and two of us have to learn it.