Operating System - OpenVMS
1748171 Members
4565 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TCPIP Alias as IP secondary on OpenVMS V7.3-2

Michael A Hunt

TCPIP Alias as IP secondary on OpenVMS V7.3-2

I am migrating Alpaservers to Intergity servers on OpenVMS. The TCPIP version on the new integrity servers is V5.6 ECO-2 on V8.3-1H1, but on the Alphas it's V5.4 ECO-7 on V7.3-2.

In the interim period I need to merge up one Alpha's environment with another, dropping the 'dying' server when I changeover. To do this I want to add a secondary IP address (alias) to one server, and allocate another new IP address to the dying server (also as a secondary). On changeover, I will remove the primary IP address from the dying server. This allows all previously routed traffic to connect to the merged-up server, and no longer to the dying one.

On the integrity I can use TCPIP$CONFIG to add an alias to the NIC - which makes merge-ups easier later on. However, on the Alpha the menu options in TCPIP$CONFIG are different (and appear insufficient). As TCPIP V5.6 ECO-2 is only for OpenVMS V8.2 and upwards I can't simple upgrade to it on the Alphas (and I'm not going to upgrade OpenVMS just for this on dying kit!)

Is there another way to add an alias (secondary IP address) to the Alpha? I'm happy to use direct TCPIP SET CONFIG commands but I can't work out which settings I need. Can anyone help, please?
6 REPLIES 6
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

UCX SET HOST xxx/ALIAS=yyy

?

Hein.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Perhaps the cluster alias on UCX 5.4 may do what you want? See

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6526/6526pro_001.html#aux_clusters_sec

Hein, that looks embarassingly simple, so I tried it and it yielded the following message:
%TCPIP-E-HOSTERROR, cannot process host request
-TCPIP-I-DUPHOST, duplicate entry in hosts database (TCPIP$HOST) for a.b.c.d, ignored

The IP address I use as the alias obviously exists - it is the address of the 'dying' server which will be (and currently is for this experiment) removed from the network at the time it is added as the secondary to the live host.

However, this implies that I can't use an existing IP address, even though the machine would not be connected (to avoid collisions). It must get this info from the BIND resolver.

I don't encounter this problem on the Integrity server using the same IP address and alias name.
Michael A Hunt

...OK, we're getting a little closer...

By running TCPIP$CONFIG on the Integrity, I can configure what I want perfectly.
I can do SHOW HOST and SHOW INTERFACE and see what they are now set to.
Based on those results I can now simulate exactly what occurred and break it down into the following commands in TCPIP

Let us suppose the interface is called IE0, and the IP of the real host is a.b.c.d

TCPIP>SET HOST ALIASHOST /ADDRESS=a.b.c.e
TCPIP>SET INTERFACE IEA0/HOST=a.b.c.d/NETWORK_MASK=255.255.255.0 (I want 24-bit)

I can then do the appropriate SET CONFIG on the INTERFACE line for the permanent database. This all works well.

Doing these same commands on the Alpha (where real interface is WE0) yields:

%TCPIP-E-INVINTER, error defining interface: WEA0
-TCPIP-I-DRIVERQIO, interface operation from internet driver QIO failed
-SYSTEM-F-DUPLNAM, duplicate name

Does this mean I can't define a new interface on which to support my alias?

...almost there! :-)
Michael A Hunt

OK - got it! :-)

I needed a SET ROUTE and also needed to use the SET INTER against a.b.c.e, not a.b.c.d

Thanks for the info guys, it all helps and forces me down new avenues.

Mike
Michael A Hunt

Closed