108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TCPIP License - Reinstalled OS

SOLVED
Go to solution
bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

TCPIP License - Reinstalled OS

I've had to re-install VMS7.3 on an older system ( DEC3000, system-disk crash) and I do not have all the paperwork. I need to use TCPIP services but do not have the proper license info. What options are available? Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: TCPIP License - Reinstalled OS

Do you have a BACKUP of your system disk made at any time between the installation of V7.3 and the system crash? If so, then you can get the licenses from that by extracting the PAKs from the old license database.

Otherwise, you get to ask HP for a replacement PAK, or you get to purchase it anew, or you investigate other alternatives and products.
bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

Short version - No. (!). Long version - Our facility took over this system from another hospital and I've been asked to resurrect it to retrieve data. First indication of problem was corrupted PCSI database, had to recreate new one, so no previous install information can be gotten. After eventual crash, reinstall of VMS 7.3 was only option. The system now boots fine, and the original application works well running from console-VT-connection. Data is available etc. Just cannot pull data off.
Will contact HP for PAK. Thanks
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If you have a copy of the disk with the corrupted PCSI data, then you can get the license data from that trivially.

Pull off the LDB file from the corrupt disk, or MOUNT it on a scratch disk.

Aim the LICENSE ISSUE * /PROCEDURE /DATABASE= at it.

Done.
bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

A-Ha!. I will definitely try this. In recreating the PCSI database the first step was 'saving' the things off to another location.
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

And I'm assuming it's the lack of a connection into the box that has you stymied. Haul over a saveset or haul over a disk brick. I use disk bricks for that all the time. Or boot the failed box from a distro CD, and use VMS on that to get the PAK extracted from the carcass.

Or, yeah, call HP and see if they can issue a replacement.
bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

Exactly - my ultimate goal is simply connecting to the thing to get the data 'somewhere else' where it can be used. Booting from the CD was how I resurrected this to start with; but moving a disk around did not occur to me. Great ideas, thank you very much.
bill clark_8
Occasional Advisor

Ideas ( booting from CD, using the license commands, pulling disk-bricks) all moved my problem forward toward resolution. Nice resource to have available.!