4665 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TCPIP Name_Service : Local domain: * Mismatch *

Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

On my system TCPIP$INET_DOMAIN is in lowercase.

Anyway, can you do one thing. Rename all the sys$system:tcpip$*.dat files and reconfigure TCP/IP from scratch. This may resolve the issue without a reboot.

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

to start with a new config can use the TCPIP CREATE commands or just rename the old ones
(RENANE SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$*.DAT .DATOLD)
and execute TCPIP$CONFIG again.

TCPIP$INET_DOMAIN is lowercase for me too. Changing this might be worth a try.

Greetings, Martin
Jeremy Stubbs
Occasional Advisor

You need to check what the config in the database is:

The /LOCAL_HOST during boot refers to whats displayed against "Local host" in $ TCPIP SHO CONFIG COMM

You then need to check that this host name is in the local host database TCPIP SHO HO

Finally you'll then need to check the name resolver config
$ TCPIP SHO CONFIG NAME
failing that you should log a call ;0)
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

One thing I learned anyway - from Unix - is to specify the host you're on in both uppercase and lowercase, in the local HOST file (TCPIP SET HOST "name" /ALIAS="NAME" ...) and in DNS. That way, you can avoid problems caused by case-sensitivity.

I think otehrs mentioned this as well:
What domain shows up when:

$ TCPIP SHOW COMMUNICATION
$ TCPIP SHOW CONFIGURATION NAME_SERVICE /FULL
$ TCPIP SHOW NAME_SERVICE
$ SHOW LOG TCPIP$BIND

and check the domain- and host info against your BIND configuration files.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Dirk Bogaerts
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys for all the extra tips.

I didn't take up the suggestions to start from scratch (the cluster has high uptime requirements, I try to limit drastic changes as much as possible).
All other tips regarding TCPIP SHOW & SHOW LOGICAL commands revealed nothing abnormal.

I suspect that the inital uppercase-only LOCAL HOST entries might be the source of my problem. This was the only thing I've modified (by including lowercase hostnames) since my initial reboot to activate the new IP adresses. Although subsequent stop/start of BIND didn't make the '*Mismatch*' go away, a complete stop/start of TCPIP on one node, some two weeks later, did solve the problem on that node. The other nodes still shows the '*Mismatch*' in TCPIP SHOW NAME.

By the way, the reboot of one node was an unplanned one; thanks Compaq for designing the DS20E with N+1 triple redundant power-supplies, but only one power-cord. All it took was a tripped circuit-breaker, to powerdown the system.

Greetings