108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TCPIP SHOW HOST gives message TCPIP-E-BIND_NO_ZONEXFR

SOLVED
Go to solution
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

TCPIP SHOW HOST gives message TCPIP-E-BIND_NO_ZONEXFR

We're getting this message from the TCPIP SHOW HOST command on several systems at a remote site.

Until recently these systems were using local host tables only; they've just been reconfigured to use DNS. The DNS server is running on another system (non-VMS) that I don't know much about.

Whatever is causing the message isn't interfering at all with nslookup or any of our network applications; it's apparently limited to the TCPIP SHOW HOST command.

This is a private network that does not connect the Internet and has its own internal root servers.

We have three VMS configurations, both of which produce the same message. They are:

VMS V7.3-1 Alpha w/ TCPIP V5.3 ECO 2
VMS V8.2-1 I64 w/ TCPIP V5.4 ECO level not known
VMS V8.3 I64 w/ TCPIP V5.5 ECO 1

In the example below I've concealed the actual host addresses and phonied up the host names; for troubleshooting this issue I don't think this should matter much.

$ TCPIP SHOW HOST

LOCAL database

Host Address Host Name

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx DNS_SERVER
127.0.0.1 localhost
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx NET_GATEWAY
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx HOST_A
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx HOST_B
(etc....)
%TCPIP-W-NORECORD, information not found
-TCPIP-E-BIND_NO_ZONEXFR, zone transfer was unsuccessful.

I have no direct access to these systems, but I can obtain whatever other information is needed from the people who actually administer these systems.

Just let me know what else we need to look at.

Thanks,

Galen
4 REPLIES 4
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Galen

I had exactly same message just last week. My OpenVMS Server is a Slave Bind Server and our Master DNS Server (SUN) had a corrupted disk and so it was not working.

I think the problem is on the DNS Server or you don't have the right for a zone transfer

Regards

Geni
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Geni,

You said,
> I think the problem is on the DNS Server or you don't have the right for a zone transfer

I hadn't thought about how TCPIP SHOW HOST works, but I guess a zone transfer from the server would be required for the BIND database portion of the listing.

I've asked the folks on the other end to ask the DNS server administrators whether zone transfers are supposed to be allowed or not.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Geni is correct. The DNS server must be configured to allow the zone transfer (should they choose to).

It should not however interfer with your ability to use the DNS to resolve individual host names. In my experience, it only stops you listing the whole host table.

Dave.
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor