Operating System - OpenVMS
1752273 Members
4590 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TCPIP$SMTP issue - "bug" or intended behaviour ?

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

TCPIP$SMTP issue - "bug" or intended behaviour ?

My mistake - minor glitch in the system startup - but the SMTP service won't work!

Regular users on my system have their home directory on USER:[] where USER is defined as '$FRNLNM("USERDISK")'[USER.] (trans=(c,t), of course).
However, this disk wasn't mounted yet so this logical USER was just "[USER.]".

When an user now logs in, his login will succeed with errors and his environment isn't setup well. Software referring to this location doesn't work well (that's how I found it) - nor will the SMTP server be able to deliver mail:

%MAIL-E-SENDERR, error sending to user WILLEM
-MAIL-E-OPENOUT, error opening USER:[WILLEM]MAIL.MAI as output
-SYSTEM-F-IVDEVNAM, invalid device name
Failed to deliver local mail to
%MAIL-E-SENDERR, error sending to user !AS

Defining this logical properly will solve any related issue, except for TCPIP$SMTP. It will keep signalling the same error even if the definition is changed. It needs a restart before the definition is recognized.

Of course, in a well defined system this shouldn't happen, but I think that any chnage in a (system) logical should be recognized by software without a restart. Other (VMS-based) software does - why doesn't TCPIP$SMTP?

(VMS 8.2, TCPIP 5.5, patched up to August 2006)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
6 REPLIES 6
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: TCPIP$SMTP issue - "bug" or intended behaviour ?

Willem,

This seems a normal performance optimzation for me. You too built a logical based upon userdisk without rebuilding it on every usage.

Wim
Wim
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Willem,

a not so uncommon situation, which CAN be easily prevented.

Early in the boot process (ie, in or from SYLOGICALS.COM) DEFINE/EXEC the logicals for your disks.
In the system table, or even better, in the cluster-wide system table.

Now, the _LNM_ already exists, whether or not the disk is mounted, so any derived function also works as intended.
Extra bonus: Now you can also MOUNT your disks by specifying the LNM.
This we you can (and we _DO_, even religuously) concentrate ALL references to physica; device names into ONE single file.
Makes for much flexibility of the configuration!.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I _KNOW_ I made an error, so it's obvious that the service could not access the intended location. Obviously, $ DIR USER:[000000] gave exactly the same error. Nothing wrong with that.
After:
$ DEFINE/SYSTEM/TRANS=(C,T) USER :[.]
the result of $ DIR USER:[000000] was exacvtly as I expected (and I did NOT restart my session) but any mail send to me on that system ended in EXACTLY the same error. As I found out, BTW, the same after restarting the service. It was that I defined this logical with /EXEC that is actually got around the problem.
Other programs that I usually use (like WASD) have no trouble either: I had the same problem with PHP logicals missing, but after defining them there was no more trouble - without restrating (warm or cold) of the webserver.
And THAT's the behaviour I would expect from a VMS program.
Willem Grooters
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Willem,

seems I mis-understood your problem.

I did not read from it that the ONLY problem was sending MAIL.
OTOH, I SHOULD have been triggered. I have known for 2 decades that MAIL is one of those programs that REQUIRE any device logicals from SYSUAF to be /EXEC.
Maybe Volker or John know exactly why and when this requirement arises, and step in to explain? I, for one, am curious.

fwiw,

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Jan,
Due to the fact that SYS$LOGIN (USER:[WILLEM]) wasn't properly defined, I obviously had trouble with ALL access to SYS$LOGIN:MAIL.MAI:
* The TCPIP$SMTP mail service - for receiving mail - failed
* Accessing my (VMS)Mail folders via a web-interface failed.
* Obviously, I would have had trouble sending mail if I would have tried ;-)

As steted elsewhere, specifying /EXEC makes a difference. The point is that the mail server needs to be restarted after that has been proerly defined. I can live with a rewquirement of a restart when logicals and files that are constantly used by the application are changed (translated once as a performance gain), but I don't see why that holds for other logicals as well. In my view, any user's MAIL.MAI file is 'just a file' and a change of a logical in the spec of this file should be transparent to the program - and NOT require a restart.
Willem Grooters
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Accepted to be an optimization (read once) and security (DEF /EXEC), requiring a restart on change
Willem Grooters