108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TCPIP command in openvms 8.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
andy hua
Occasional Advisor

TCPIP command in openvms 8.2

When I type "tcpip" on the command line, a intepretor "TCPIP>" show up. Can anyone tell me which file is responsible for this command? Is it sys$manager:tcpip$config.com?
Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: TCPIP command in openvms 8.2

The TCPIP command verb invokes the TCPIP utility amd provides the primary management interface for TCP/IP Services product. The command verb triggers the invocation of an executable image. IIRC, the filename for the executable image is TCPIP$UCP.EXE.

The TCPIP$CONFIG.COM DCL command procedure is a command procedure used to configure and to maintain the TCP/IP Services package, and this procedure performs various associated tasks using various other tools and files, including the TCP/IP Services utility mentioned above.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

andy,

To find the image executed by a command verb, in most cases you can use

$ SEARCH SYS$UPDATE:*.CLD

This will work for most OpenVMS commands. BUT TCPIP is a layered product, so the CLD isn't saved in SYS$UPDATE. You could dig it out of an installation kit, but an easier way is to use ^T while executing the command:

$ tcpip
TCPIP> ^T
VMS100::JOHN 14:43:26 TCPIP$UCP CPU=00:00:05.46 PF=920 IO=13968 MEM=224

Which shows that Hoff's recollection is correct.

In this case you can RUN the image directly and get the same result as the verb, but that's not true for all commands.

$ run sys$system:tcpip$ucp
TCPIP>

Is there a particular reason you want to know?
A crucible of informative mistakes
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Andy,

I concur with the comments made by Hoff and John.

I will add that the TCPIP$CONFIGURE.COM command procedure is used for the configuration/re-configuration of the components comprising HP's TCP/IP implementation.

The TCPIP command invokes a utility that allows the control and management of the TCPIP components. Many of the tasks accomplished by TCPIP$CONFIGURE.COM are actually accomplished using the TCPIP utility, the command procedure merely provides a menu-based front end to make it easier to accomplish the configuration process.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
andy hua
Occasional Advisor

Got it, thanks all of you above:)
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Andy,

Welcome to the itrc forum.

Good to see you have your answer.

But some of us are still curious WHY you wanted to know. What is the real problem you are trying to solve? Maybe we can offer a better solution knowing that.

btw... please consider:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Regards,
Hein.
[ 0 points for this please ]
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>>>...To find the image executed by a command verb...<<<

Personally, I use the VERB utility off the Freeware. VERB lists out the contents of the CLD tables for the specified command, or for all commands. VERB is the reverse of the SET COMMAND command; it decompiles the CLD verb tables.
andy hua
Occasional Advisor

Hein.
Hi, I am a newbie of OpenVMS, so still have lots of things to get familiar with.
People here are all very nice, just like the VMS system:)
andy hua
Occasional Advisor

Problem solved