3323 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TCPIP hangs with FTP

B. van den Dool
Occasional Advisor

TCPIP hangs with FTP

Hi there,
I've a client who is running OpenVMS v7.3-2 and TCPIP v5.4-15.
One of the programmers has a monthly run. It is a perl programm and it is running on WINDOWS.
It opens (FTP) a session to OpenVMS and a PUT.
After this a RSH en the results GET (FTP).
This program was running on OpenVMS v7.1-2.
Now I was upgrading the system to OpenVMS v7.3-2 and TCPIP v5.4-15 and the same programm is hanging the session. There are no errors ..... no errors in logfiles. No errors in OPER.LOG.
It was running right is OpenVMS v7.1-2 (and UCX!!) and after upgrading it hangs after a while (random).
15 REPLIES 15
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

B.,

welcome to the OpenVMS forum.

Which program is hanging ? FTP PUT, RSH anything or FTP GET ?

Is a session established from the PC to the OpenVMS system at the time of the hang ? Check with TCPIP SHOW DEV and look for sockets to the PC IP address.

FTP problems are sometimes caused by name resolution errors. Does TCPIP SHOW HOST ip-address-of-PC work ?

Volker.
B. van den Dool
Occasional Advisor

New info from programmer. The session hangs after RSH command. It gives no return.
B. van den Dool
Occasional Advisor

Yes, the session is initiated from the PC.
And the session is open during hangup.
You see the RSH line and the silence.
See the attachment for the PERL programm.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Is there a TCPIP$REXEC_RUN.LOG file in the default directory of the user account on the VMS server ? Any error message (in any versions of that file) ?

There should be a TCPIP$R_BGnnnn RSH process on the VMS system (executing the compiler procedure). Is it there, if it 'hangs' ?

Volker.
B. van den Dool
Occasional Advisor

Nex step ...
The problem is the mix ....
RSH (windows) version with TCPIP version.
We have tride this procedure (CLEARCASE/PERL) on another Windows environment (=RSH version).
Result no problem except while you KLIK the window down the procedure stops and resume if you open the window and puch ENTER.

Das anyone know how to "show version" on WINDOWS RSH ????
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

B.,

this is the OpenVMS forum, but...

Find RSH.EXE (should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and look at properties for version information).

Volker.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Have you installed TCPIP ECO 5? There are some issues which might apply, either with I/O or with RSH.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
B. van den Dool
Occasional Advisor

ECO 5 ??? Not yet seen.... will looking for ...
We discover; it has to do with the combination of RSH version en TCPIP version.
I'm looking/testing for the right combine.
In the early days we had also problems with the TELNET/RSH/FTP stacks.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

TCPIP V5.4-15 seems to indicate the SSB version of TCPIP V5.4 (no ECO installed). ECO 5 would make this V5.4-155.

When reporting TCPIP versions, use the command TCPIP SHOW VERS

It is good practise, to always install the most recent available TCPIP ECO and not run with a base version, if ECOs are available - especially after doing an upgrade, when you might have to re-test your applications anyway.

Volker.