4783 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: TCPIP ifconfig results in an "exceeded byte count quota" message

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Brian,

Another thing I'd try is to REDUCE your BYTLM. Those numbers seem very high to me, and it's fairly clear you're only using a tiny fraction of the allocation. Try with BYTLM set low enough to at least get it out of the high hex digit of a 32 bit longword. Maybe 50000000 (though to my eyes that still looks like a HUGE allocation - and I can't imagine what you would be doing with it all!). It's possible that there is some code path in a dusty corner has an assumption, explicit or implicit, that BYTLM will never be that high, and some calculation overflows or goes negative.

Just out of curiosity, what are the pool allocations on this system? See SHOW MEM/POOL.

Your quota is more than a quarter of the maximum theoretical limit for NPAGEDYN. Most systems I've ever dealt with measure NPAGEDYN in 10's of MB, maybe up to 80 or 90MB. If it gets into 100's that's something that needs looking at. Your allocation is nearly 800MB. Is that really your intention?

A crucible of informative mistakes
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Hi John,

Now that's worth a try, I think the allocation at the moment was a temporary increase to see if that helped, it didn't. I'll try reducing the value when I get back in the office next week.

Cheers

Brian