1753905 Members
9752 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TCPIP socket error

Jack Churchill
Occasional Advisor

TCPIP socket error

After several days, telent, ftp and other tcpip related apps produce the following message on a 7.3-1 system:

Internet interface error
socket ()
process quota exceeded

I tried to increase the device sockets but this version of UCX (5.3) says it no longer supports it. "ucx show comm" also no longer shows peak values of anything. "ucx show comm/mem" shows how many mbufs are used, whatever they are. I've increased the CHANNELCNT from 256 to 512 and RJOBLIM from 16 to 32, and autogened the system to see if it helps.

Any other ideas?
15 REPLIES 15
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: TCPIP socket error

Can you give more detail on the type of processes - interactive, batch? Have these been active all that time, or does it suddenly happen that all go down that way?
Anyway, check the process quota in UAF and SYSGEN: I think in particular BYTLM and TQELM

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

HAve you looked at the errant processes with SDA (i.e. Anal/sys)?

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Jack Churchill
Occasional Advisor

The problem is first noticed when someone tries to telnet to the server from another system, typically a PC. Then when they log on the server via DECnet, they try to telnet out of the server to another one and get the error message. Same with ftp.

No I haven't used SDA but I will now that you reminded me. I've already tried ACC but not much I could find there. Thanks.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

If I get it right:

PC --telnet --> VMS
PC --decnet --> VMS --telnet/ftp--> another server

or:

PC --telnet--> VMS --decnet--> VMS --telnet/ftp--> another server

In both cases: what type of system is that? if VMS, check the user quota on that system.

Check quota on the system reached by DECNet, as said: BYTLM, TQELM, but it might be you have to raise other ones as well. I could think of BIOLM and ASTLM as well. Take a look to the UAF settings of users TCPIP$FTP and TCPIP$TELNET
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Jack Churchill
Occasional Advisor

Anywhere --telnet --> VMS_A --> telnet anywhere works OK for a few days then one day the first telnet from anywhere won't connect. Then:

VMS_B --SET HOST --> VMS_A --telnet --> anywhere gives the error message

At other times telnet from VMS_A is OK.

I do recall one day I could telnet from VMS_A but not to it!
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

could you be reaching the limit on the telnet service - see
$ TCPIP SHOW SERVICE TELNET/FULL

with previous sessions not ended properly.

Nothing obvious yet. I├в ll probably have to wait for the problem to happen again then see the evidence. What I have found is when I do a tcpip show comm/mem every so often, the following keep increasing. I wonder if this is a sign of a memory leak.

9568 mbufs in use:
3148 mbufs allocated to socket structures
6290 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jack,

how did you 'get rid of the problem' in the past ? Reboot ? If so, it could indeed be a memory leak. Does nonpaged pool usage increase as well (SHOW MEM/POOL/FULL) ?

Volker.
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

could you post
$ ana/sys
tcpip sh inetcb/stat

it may show some stuff