New Discussion юеВ

Re: TCPWARE/OPEN_VMS Ver8.2 NFS mount file lock problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

TCPWARE/OPEN_VMS Ver8.2 NFS mount file lock problem

Hello,
I know you guys can help me. You have many time before. We are running OpenVMS Version 8.2 on a AlphaServer DS25 which also runs TCPWARE V5.7-1. From a system running HP-UX 10.2, we are mounting a file system which is found on the Alpha Server. The file system on the Unix client gets mounted and we have access to it. No problem. The problem is that when it gets hold of a file in the mounted file system and locks it, it never unlocks it even though it is done with it. It is a process called TCPware_NFSD that has a hold of it. It says in the TCPWARE that there is something called the Network Lock Manager (NLM)that is supposed to keep track of locking and unlocking files. Is there something wrong with our TCPWARE NFS server config that is keeping anyone from accessing the files on the OpenVMS side? Why won't the files get freed up? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

In ucx there was a logical called UCX$NFS00000000_INACTIVITY that specified how long after the last operation the file was kept locked. Default was 2 minutes.

Something simular in tcpware ?

Wim
Wim
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

There is a parameter in TCPWARE called NFS_OPENFILE_TIMER. It is set to 6 seconds. I think this is the default value.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Did you specify it as "0 00:00:06.00" ?

Simply 6 could mean 6 days.

Wim
Wim
Geoff Bryant.
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I checked with someone here at Process and this sounded similar to a problem we fixed in TCPware 5.7-2.

I was also told you might want to check and make sure the TCPWARE_NLM process is still running.

You might consider going up to TCPware 5.7-2.
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

Thank for the information about Version
5.7-2. If TCPWARE_NLM process is not running, can I startup the process myself? This might eleviate my problem until I can load 5.7-2.

Thank you.
Geoff Bryant.
Occasional Advisor

Try restarting NFS:

$ @TCPWARE:RESTART NFS
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

I will try the restart NFS command. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you.
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

Thank you to all for your input. Thank you Geoff Bryant for your reply about Version 5-7.2 of TCPWARE. I think you have pointed us in the right direction. We are going to load out this new version to see if it gets rid of the file lock problem. I will let you know if this fixes our problem.