1748151 Members
3508 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TELNET & TCPIP$TELNETSYM

Rene Rodrigue
Occasional Advisor

TELNET & TCPIP$TELNETSYM

I am switching all of interactive access from telnet to SSH; however, we have print queues that are based on the telnet symbiont. I'd like to disable telnet completely to force everyone to utilize SSH. Is TCPIP$TELNETSYM self contained or does it need telnet enabled to function. Thanks, Rene
3 REPLIES 3
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

AFAIK it is completely independent with it's own startup/shutdown procedures and logicals.

hth
Steve Reece_3
Trusted Contributor

It's self contained and NOT part of telnet access per se. The telnet symbiont has startup and shutdown procedures all of its own, although it mainly relies upon these to install images (I think).
It uses a reverse telnet connection to the printer but this is so that it can just squirt (technical term!) the data down the link, not so that it can accept incoming data, other than printer status information etc.
There are other methods of printing (e.g. LPR/LPD) but this depends upon what your printer will actually accept - not all printers and print servers accept all protocols and not all firewalls are set to pass everything either.

Steve
Rene Rodrigue
Occasional Advisor

Thanks!!! Rene