1748257 Members
4014 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape drive scsi problems

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

there's also the library and tape tools which supports 7.3-2 and up and dlt 1 and onwards.
i would tend to agree with hoff about narrowing it down physically - you won't get the sort of info you are after from hp sim or webes, even though hp sim contains a lot of tape info mib wise it's not comprehensive.

HTH

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

sorry forgot to include link to L&TT download page.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

An LTT FAQ is available to answer the most common L&TT usage questions: www.hp.com/support/lttfaq

For more information on LTT and to download it see www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Hi guys, first of all, thanks for all your replies and sorry for not answering sooner, I've been sick.

I've tried running LTT on HP's request but it seems I'm missing LIBHBAAPI.EXE and it won't start. I've sent it back to them but they haven't answered yet.

I'm starting to lean more towards the theory about the chassi being bonkers. I've moved the tapedrive to the other machine in our cluster and it displays the same kind of error (Device timeout) after a couple of hours. There is no rescue from it except for rebooting the tapedrive (mostly it just needs a couple of minutes to get it's act together again)

Best Regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor

Install the latest fibrescsi patchkit. It should include this library.

Jur.
David Lethe
Occasional Advisor

LIBHBAAPI is for the SNIA FC API drivers. I would think that this wouldn't prevent the app to run, since it is SCSI-attach, not fibrechannel attached, but in all fairness I have never used this particular HP product.

Do you have ability to attach the tape to another O/S?
cnb
Honored Contributor

Fredik,

Since it's following the external tape sub-system to the other system, I suggest you swap out the external tape enclosure or replace it's power supply. A very common problem with these units.

Regards,

Let me know what the outcome is as I have a Carlsberg waiting on ice! ;-)

Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Good morning guys :)

Jur, I would install if, if I knew where to find it. We currently don't have anything connected to these machines over FC. SAN and tapedrivers use SCSI interfaces only.

David, I currently don't have the possibility to connect it to another OS.

cnb, I'll get back to you when HP finally gets a move on. At the moment we're still stuck in the "we-want-information-you-cannot-give-us" loop and I'm just waiting for them to get back to me so I can tell them to send out a tech guy and fix it :P
(ps. They didn't really accept the situation when I told em that both my (previously working) alpha machines presents the same symptoms when connecting the tape driver ds.)

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Jur van der Burg
Respected Contributor