108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Task-to-Task MicroVax to OpenVMS 8.2 communication

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

Task-to-Task MicroVax to OpenVMS 8.2 communication

We have a task-to-task configuration that we have been using for years. In the working configuration we are using a MicroVAX II running VMSV4.4. We are running the following commands on the MicroVAX:
open/read network node::"task=get_time"
read network node_time
close network

We are using the commands above to get the system time from an ALPHA 3000 running OpenVMS V6.1. The commands we are using on the ALPHA are:
get_time.com
open/write network sys$net:
write network f$time()
close network

This combination of the ALPHA 3000/OpenVMSV6.1 and the MicroVax work fine.
We now want to do the same thing using the MicroVAX with a DS25 ALPHA running OpenVMSV8.2.

Now when we try to "read network node-time", we get the following error:
"%RMS-E-EDF, end of file detected" and no system to from the new Aplha.

Are there additional or different commands that we need to add/change because of the updated operating system? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Michelle,

OpenVMS is OpenVMS is OpenVMS ...

Please have a look at the NETSERVER.LOG or NET$SERVER.LOG file on your OpenVMS Alpha V8.2 system for a possible error message.

This log file will be in the login-directory of the account, under which your remote GET_TIME.COM task is running.

How did you provide authorization on the remote node (default DECnet acocunt, proxy, task object) ? Which version of DECnet are your running on your DS25 (DECnet-IV or DECnet-Plus) ?

Volker.
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Michelle
Are you generate proxies to VAX node/user on Alpha node using SYSUAF utility?.
Saludos.
Daniel.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Michelle,

try SYS$NET without the terminating ':'

I could easily reproduce this with an OpenVMS I64 V8.2 remote system. Removing the ':' from sys$net: makes it work.

Volker.
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

The NETSERVER.LOG file does not contain any errors. We're using DECnet-IV.

We are doing some task-to-task functions that transfer information from the MicroVAX to the 8.2 Alpha and they work fine. The thing that is not working is when we try to transfer information from the 8.2 Alpha to the MicroVAX.

We tried the SYS$NET without the terminating ":" and we still get the same result.
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Michelle

Can you use reply/ena=network command on Alpha, send command on VAX an post reponse?
Saludos.
Daniel.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Michell,

looking at the working versions, I am guessing that those still have the deault DECNET account enabled.
For security reasons, thay has since changed to being DISABLED by deault.

--IF that is the xase-- then the easiest solution would be to grant (on your time server) the account(s) on your client accessing your time server PROXY access to the account providing the service.

UAF> ADD /PROC :: /DEFAULT

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Michelle,

the fact, that the OPEN/READ network node::"task=get_time" does NOT return an error, indicates that authorization and object access DO WORK - otherwise you would get errors during the open.

The fact, that you do get a %RMS-E-EOF error on read, indicates that the remote node somehow failed to write it's information to the channel opened with open/write network sys$net.

I was using DECnet-IV on our I64 V8.2 system and removing ':' from SYS$NET immediately solved the problem for me, I was also getting the same %RMS-E-EOF on the read.

You need to do the troubleshotting in the remote GET_TIME.COM procedure. Add $ SET VERIFY (make sure you're really using the version with the ':' removed), add $ SHOW LOG/PROC, add a SHOW PROC after the OPEN/WRITE network SYS$NET statement to see the open channels. Do the same on the working V6.1 Alpha and compare the results in NETSERVER.LOG

Volker.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor
Solution

Perhaps the DS25 is simply too fast???

Add

$ WAIT 00:00:01

before closing the network. That might give the Microvax time to read the data. Make the time longer if you need to.

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Michelle_68
Frequent Advisor

The "WAIT" worked. The DS25 was simply too fast.

Thank you to all for your input!!!!!!!!