1748265 Members
4249 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Temperature of Integrity server (VMS)

Martin Walker
Occasional Contributor

Temperature of Integrity server (VMS)

On Alpha (some systems) you have f$getsyi("temperature_vector"). On integrity, this gives "%SYSTEM-E-NOT_LOADED, system service or exec routine is not loaded". (So I guess it's an "undocumented feature" on Alpha only?)

Is there a way to obtain internal temerature info from DCL on VMS/IA64?
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Re: Temperature of Integrity server (VMS)

Martin,

>Is there a way to obtain internal temerature info from DCL on VMS/IA64?

Not directly. The lexical function item is undocumented, and only works on a small number of specific Alpha systems.

The only supported means for monitoring temperature (and then only on platforms with the appropriate sensing hardware), is using the WEBES/WEBEM MIBs and an appropriate SNMP management system (like OpenView) .
A crucible of informative mistakes
Eric Dittman
Frequent Advisor

There really needs to be a native VMS method for getting this information without the bloat of WEBES.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

One of the issues with this stuff is that the temperature sensors only exist on some hardware models and they vary somewhat from model to model. I guess if you wish do remote monitoring of your VMS systems you use the MIB.

I monitor a bunch of DS10, DS15 and DS20.
I get the temperature on the DS10 thanks to the fine procedure of Scott Belviso ( http://dcl.openvms.org/stories.php?story=03/07/10/8132100 ), on the DS15 with a program, and not at all on the only DS20 I have. We will soon replace the Alphas with Itaniums, and it would be great to have a standard way, regardless of the hardware model, to get that info. f$getenv is fine in my opinion, which it seems it not shared by a number of people who build the Itanium.
Aaron Sakovich
Super Advisor

If there's an SNMP MIB, then would it be practicable to use SNMP_REQUEST?

Just asking,
Aaron
Martin Walker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions although they don't really advance the situation... I fear the only way is to use WEBES or write my own SNMP MIB.

I've awarded Eric my points - he's closest to the right answer for me - it should be added to VMS! Hopefully VMS engineering are listening! :)