1748286 Members
3275 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Terry Shannon

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Terry Shannon

This morning, in the middle of the SDA training, fellow student Alan Frisbee all at a sudden cried out "Oh noo!!", and through his tears he read Sue´s mail that brought tears to all our eyes: Terry Shannon died.

And we had expected him here in Nashua next week...

I have many and pleasant memories on hime, but two of my favorites stand out:

At the Vienna Decus barbecue we talked for many outdoors hours. Me, with my tobacco aversion, always upwind of him.
One of his stick horses (outside of IT) was that tobacco was sooo much worse than heroin:
In ´Nam, "everybody" used. When his platoon was told they where scheduled for home in three weeks time, but only those that were "clean" could go, "I had one bad day and never ever even was interested again, like, AFAIK, all my mates".
But stopping nicotine had proved impossible in at least 3 tries.

The second memory I would like to recount is not one-to-one, but from one of his famous speaches.
At one of the European Decusses he started (words from my memory, not literal): "Today is the (?)th anniversary of my best airplane flight ever. With 300+ people in a plane for 130 passengers. But MAN, IT WAS THE FLIGHT OUT OF NAM!!"
That period in his life really left deep tracks, and it showed regularly.

Terry,

Thanks for those (too few!!) hours,

we will miss you.

may you rest in peace.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
14 REPLIES 14
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Terry Shannon

Outch. I have never met him in person, but I heard about it yesterday at ENSA's evening event when I was taling with a few people.

I really have enjoyed some of his writing.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Terry Shannon story
http://www.shannonknowshpc.com/pages.php?page=About

Thank to Him.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I read this posting over on Sunday
http://www.shannonknowshpc.com/stories.php?story=05/05/25/6716036
and thought he had turned the corner. I emailed him on Sunday to say I was looking forward to seeing him at the bootcamp but it is not to be.

I met Terry several times at various events and always enjoyed his presentations. I was a frequent visitor to his web site and have exchanged emails on various topics.

Our world is a darker place without him.

You can post comments and read others on Terry's site
http://www.shannonknowshpc.com/

Rest in Peace Terry

Terry and I shared the Viet Nam experience to the point of being stationed in the same area (Pleiku) albeit at different times.

We discovered this at a DECUS symposia many years ago and formed a bond beyond the world of IT.

He also made several presentations to the CARTS LUG (Chicagoland) over the years and as most of you know, kept us informed and laughing at events in many different parts of the world.

Rest in peace Terry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dave...
Paul Janssen
Advisor

I have met Shannon on serveral occassions both in Europe and in the US.

One of the most rememberable was the moment when we both tried to get out of LA a few days after September 11th. We stuck together and both solved our flights out.

May he rest in peace and be remembered by many.

Paul Janssen
Eberhard Wacker
Valued Contributor

Eberhard Wacker
Valued Contributor

Sorry, after my submit I've seen that Ian mentioned it already in a former posting. Whatever, I was deeply impressed reading it and started to re-think a lot ...
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

I can't add more to it as all of you already done. I've met Terry on severall ocasions and think he know a lot of the backgrounds of VMS although we not always agree to each other about the continuing line.
Still we are gone miss you

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

I think everyone will agree that sadness of this magnitude does not allow me to give any points, but nevertheless I appreciate all those that join in mourning.

Let us all remember our good moments with Terry.
I know he thought the world did often not deserve it, but nevertheless should be taken for its good things.

Let us all live up to that.

Terry, may you have found the rest you deserve!!!

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.