108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Text file accounting?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Text file accounting?

Maybe I missed it, but is there a way to use accounting to see what's been going on with a text file?

DIR/FULL tells of its creation and other things: revision, backup, etc. but is there another VMS utility I can use to determine what's been going on with the file, like who is touching it and when, etc.
7 REPLIES 7
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

I think that you'd be interested in section "9.2.1.1 Auditing Categories of Acivity" in http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6346/6346pro_021.html . It decribes how to assign a security ACE to a file so that you can monitor events like these.
EdgarZamora
Trusted Contributor

Put an alarm or audit ACE on the file.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

If you know what file you are interested in, then audit ace is the supported way.

For example (AUDIT=SECURITY,ACCESS=WRITE+SUCCESS)

$ set audit/audit/enable=acl

More details in http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1194094

Jon
it depends
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions, but they would report on things from now on after set up properly. What about in the past?
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, if you didn't collect the info, tnen you can't determine what did it.

Same problem as trying to determine what used the resources if you didn't have accounting enabled.

If you have image accounting enabled, and nothing has modified the file or the "revision" date on the file, then you can make reasonable guesses as to what changed the file.

Jon
it depends
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Thought so on the past item. Thanks for the verification.
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies.