Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The resource hash table is sparse ...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

The resource hash table is sparse ...

And what's worse than having sparse hash ;-)

But seriously ... I am seeing this message occasionaly being displayed in HP Operations Manager (OVO) on our ES47's eg:

The resource hash table is sparse (19702 resources found while SYSGEN parameter RESHASHTBL=65536)

The message doesn't get reset by whatever resource coming back above a threshold. The message is typically generated while the Data Protector backups are running.

The only reference to this error text I can find is in the Availability Manager manual where it lists it in a "lock contention" group of messages.

Is this something to be concerned about? Something that can be tuned up?

VMS v8.3 - relatively current on patches.

Cheers,
Art
11 REPLIES 11
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: The resource hash table is sparse ...

DP backups :

Files being backed up or restored are always locked regardless of whether the Lock files during backup (-lock) option
is enabled or disabled. With the -lock option enabled any file opened for write is not backed up. With the -lock option disabled
any open file is backed up as well. No message is issued when an open file is saved.

May be a lot of very small or empty files that are locked in bulk ?
Or may be the process quotas allow too much files to be backuped in paralel ?

Wim (no knowledge of DP)
Wim
Shilpa K
Valued Contributor

Hi,

In the following "Availability manager User's Guide" link, it says:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/availman/6552pro_004.html#ap_b

Event:
RESPRS - Resource hash table sparse

Description:
The percentage of occupied entries in the hash table is less than the threshold.

Explanation:
A sparsely populated table wastes memory resources.

Recommended action:
Use the system parameter RESHASHTBL to adjust the total number of entries.

I think this indicates that the percentage of resource hash table entries actually used by your system is less compared to the value that is set for the SYSGEN parameter RESHASHTBL. So, I think this message is indicating that you may reduce the RESHASHTBL value so that memory resources may not be wasted.

Regards,
Shilpa
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The OpenView Operations Manager (OVO) tool is here offering a way for you to save a fraction of thirty-two pages of physical memory. You might well get a dozen pages back by following the recommendation. Maybe two, if you push it.

Are you short on free physical memory here? If so? toss a few gigabytes into the box and move on to the next problem.

As I posted to the HL web site earlier today, keep your eye on the prize. The rules and the assumptions and the environments change. Memory prices have dropped since the days of VAX, and configurations (with the exception of that fellow with the overloaded AlphaServer 800 box that's been around here recently) are vastly larger and more capable.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

So it's sort of a reverse warning ... not that it's running out of anything but rather wasting something? That's a bit odd.

There's lots of memory in these systems - either 4GB or 8GB depending on which one.

Thanks,
Art
Shilpa K
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

"So it's sort of a reverse warning ... not that it's running out of anything but rather wasting something?"

From the explanation provided for "RESPRS" by the "Availability Manager User's Guide", I think it only indicates that its not utilizing the resource optimally and thus wasting. I think it is more of a informational message than a warning.

Reagrds,
Shilpa