1753809 Members
7702 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Time sync to Windows servers

Jim McGrath

Time sync to Windows servers

Hi,
I have 3 Alpha Servers running VMS 7.1 that I would like to sync to our Windows network time. Is there an easy way to do this?
3 REPLIES 3
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

You want to look at NTP. See chapter 13 of
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6526/6526pro.HTML for setup on the Alpha side. The windows setup depends on which version of Windows you're running. The documentation is very straight forward, run sys$manager:tcpip$config.com and edit SYS$SPECIFIC:[TCPIP$NTP]TCPIP$NTP.CONF to configure and setup. The command file provides a sample config file.

Andy

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

The NTP mechanics will be straight forward, but why sync. on a Windows based system ? I would expect the VMS hosted applications are probably more important to your organisation. We run GPS connected NTP servers which service all most hosts and are independant of all hosts. You should also consider a secondary NTP server should the primary not respond. NTP or time sync. becomes very important in work flow based transaction processing. Helps mosly with matching time stamps in log files, especially when problems occur.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Note that Windows normally does not run a proper NTP service but a different protocol (SNTP) which NTP clients can't use. If you ensure the windows system is running a real NTP service then enable the NTP client in the TCPIP product you are using and configure it. If you supply details about which TCPIP product and what version then details of how can be given.

Sometimes is more important that the VMS systems and the Windows systems agree on what time it is than where or not it is the correct time.